Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

Hi everyone I'm planning a trip for my 60 year old parents.
They are foodies who are fit enjoy good wine and beautiful scenery. Not ones to sit and relax much.

Idea
8 Sep Fly Zagreb arrive around 1.
Bus to
8/9/10 sep
Ijubana - 3 nights
Day trip - Lake bled day trip bus
Ljubana to piran by bus
11 sep - piran 1 night
Piran to rovinji by bus.
12/13 sep rovinji - pic up car
Visit Motovun and Groznjan (1 day trip)
14 sep Opatija 1 night
Drive to plitvice lakes
15 sep stay
1 night plitvice

16 sep
Drive to Krka national park do a walk n have a dip
15 km away stay the night sibenik
http://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/destinations/sibenik/
???? (Have found the Solaris resort so wondering about a night or 2 here for relax and day trip to zadar)
Next day drive to Trogir for a look around and lunch (48mins on way to split)
In afternoon on way into Split stop here for an explore
Klis fortress (36mins)
17/18 sep nights split (ditch car)
Take ferry to hvar town early morning
19/20 sep
2 night hvar
21 sep
Take ferry to korcula town
1 night korcula
Ferry to Dubrovnik arrive midday
22/23 sep nights Dubrovnik
24 sep night kotor and day trip on drive back to visit budva/sveti Stefan
25 sep Catch evening ferry drop car Dubrovnik to Bari

The Dubrovnik - Bari ferry also leaves on 27 sep so would work if increase the itinerary somewhere by 2 days eg down time at Solaris?

On to tour Italy taking in sights on way to Amalfi, up to Tuscany region, bologna and finish in Venice

I have never been to Croatia and need help creating the ideal itinerary. I have pieced this together and wanted advice, is it too rushed? do I need to add time in places? Or have a missed somewhere must see? Eliminate somewhere? We have room to play time wise with 5 weeks in Europe total... but ideally half time here.

Thanks heaps

Posted by
4379 posts

They will be sitting--in a car--not sure about relaxing! I am 20 years younger than your folks, and I find just reading this exhausting. Too many one-night stays. Do they like road trips? What do they want to do? At the very least, I would map out the drive times to know how much time they will have in each place. You are wonderful to help them, but it should probably be a group effort. It's hard to accurately comment without knowing their travel style, but Croatia is a "stop and smell the roses" kind of place.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks so much for your reply. That Was my gut feeling with the one night stays, sort of made sence tho as they all on route to the next destination and only a hour-2 in car each day without having to back track. But perhaps better than lugging bags every day and new check ins at hotels to choose a a few bases and do day trips...
My dad is not one to sit ;) he's always pacing around and has to keep busy. If I put them on a beach or by a pool I don't think he would put his feet up haha.

Posted by
6113 posts

Sorry, but this is a crazy paced itinerary! Croatia is a long, thin country that takes time to navigate. You are squeezing a month plus trip into 2.5 weeks.

So arriving at 1pm, therefore say 2 pm out of the airport, then they are going to take a bus to Ljubljana? What if the flight is several hours late?

You have far too many one night stops, particularly as this is part of a 5 week trip. They are going to be exhausted! When are they going to catch up with laundry etc?

I would scrap Ljubljana and add this time to Istria and explore the hill towns by car. Most people spend at least a week here.

Cover Plitvice and Krka from Zadar.

Do I read this that they are going to have 48 minutes in Trogir? This should be a day here.

You will struggle to find decent accommodation on the islands with less than a 3-4 night minimum booking, so just pick one island and drop the other.

Posted by
18 posts

Wonderful advice thank you. I will take alll this on board and look at dropping the Slovenia part take things slower and look at 1 island probably Hvar. Mum and Dad love the look of all the places we had on the itinerary but I'll let them know we would need the full 4 weeks in Croatia if they want to see it all :)

Posted by
27111 posts

I would not visit Plitvice Lakes on a day trip from anywhere. It's critical to have time in the park before the day-trippers arrive and/or after they have left. Otherwise, you'll be marching around those walkways (without handrails, by the way) in lockstep with thousands of others. The park is gorgeous, but you need to have one night there to be sure of enjoying it fully.

Rovinj is a place your parents could stay longer and add daytrips. Rovinj is very atmospheric but mostly monochromatic. Porec is very colorful (and roughly equally touristy). Pula (which I haven't visited) has Roman ruins. The little hilltop village of Vrsar is worth a brief stop. I suspect parking will be challenging at Rovinj lodgings that are close to the old town. To make things a bit more relaxing and avoid having to deal with the car on some days, they could consider taking a bus to Vrsar/Porec and/or to Pula. If they did such side-trips early in the Rovinj stay, they could hold off on picking up the car till later. I'd use the car for Piran and the interior (Motovun/Groznjan).

Note: I haven't verified that rental cars are available in Rovinj.

ViaMichelin says the drive from Rovinj to Piran would take about 75 minutes, but there's a Schengen border on the way, so that may be optimistic. Still, it seems Piran could be a daytrip from Rovinj if the bus schedule from Ljubljana to Rovinj works for them. I used that bus in 2015 but don't remember the timing. I have not bussed between Rovinj and Piran; I visited those towns on two separate trips. I'm not saying it is definitely better to drop the separate stop in Piran, just that I think it may be a viable alternative to reduce the number of hotel changes.

I like Montenegro a lot, and Kotor is very picturesque, preferably on a day when there is not a monster cruise ship in port. (This can be checked on the Internet, though I don't know that the information is 100% accurate.) One of the regular posters here has mentioned that he found Kotor quite similar to Dubrovnik. I suspect that's a fair comment; I did not visit the two towns on the same trip. There are a lot of other interesting places in Montenegro as well as some very nice countryside. If there's only about a day and a half available, I might be tempted to drop the Montenegro visit and add the time to Croatia. I would give this really serious consideration if it appeared that my Kotor day was going to be marred by thousands of daytrippers off a mega-ship. I had both types of days in Kotor, and there was a huge difference in the atmosphere.

Assuming the Kotor stop lives on: It sounds as if you're planning for another car rental for the trip from Dubrovnik to Kotor. This can be done by public bus or probably by bus tour, but if additional stops are desired, a car would be nice to have. Be sure the rental company has authorized taking the car across the border.

I have not been to Sveti Stefan; I have a vague recollection that you cannot actually get onto the island unless you are staying there, so that's something to verify ahead of time. Budva itself is very nice, but I thought it looked a lot like Kotor, minus the wall, and wouldn't cut Kotor short just to drive to Budva. That said, if time permitted, one could take different routes to and from Budva, returning by way of the interesting interior town and former capital of Cetinje. But verify that the road between in Cetinje and Kotor is not too tricky to be a comfortable drive; I believe someone here reported that it was nerve-wracking, but I could be misremembering.

If I were staying in Kotor for just one night and only had time to see one other place in Montenegro (recognizing that Kotor could take up all the available time), I'd choose Cetinje (if the road isn't too challenging) or perhaps Herceg-Novi. The latter is more or less on the way back to Dubrovnik.

Warning: I know nothing about parking in any of these places.

Posted by
27111 posts

Ran out of space before making my usual comment when Croatia is mentioned: I like Zagreb a lot. It has a very attractive, multi-level historic district, an active café culture, and a number of good museums. I particularly liked the unusual Naïve Art Museum and Museum of Broken Relationships. There are more-traditional museums as well, a produce market, etc.

Zagreb is a fair-sized city with a good bit of not-especially-attractive sprawl, but once you're in the historic area or the nearby museum district, you're not aware of all the buildings from the Tito period and it's quite lovely. I always like to see something besides coastal cities when I have enough time.

By the way, I also like Ljubljana and am not promoting Zagreb at the expense of Ljubljana. But if you decide to cut Slovenia on this trip, you could do worse than add a couple of nights (at least) in Zagreb. Just one night wouldn't accomplish much, because the arrival day usually finds travelers very jetlagged.

Posted by
18 posts

What do you think about these adjustments

Flying from Sweden to Zagreb
Collect car at airport
Zagreb - 2 nights
Drive to ljubjiana - 3 nights
Rovinji 4 nights
Plitvice 1 night
Zadar 2 nights
Split 2
Hvar 2 nights