Please sign in to post.

Itinerary For September 2017 thoughts

8- Berlin
9-11 Zadar
11-13 Split
13-16 Bol (my husband's roots that he wants to explore are from here.)
16 Mostar
17 Kotor
18 - undecided still
19-21 Dubrovnik
21-24 London

Day Trips
Airport to Zadar- detour to Plitvice
Zadar- archipelagos
Zadar to Split- detour to Krka
Bol- Hvar
Dubrovnik- undecided

Help needed with undecided. Family of 5 (3 teenagers).

Plus recommendations for something for the teens to do while we go wine tasting for the day in Dubrovnik.

I know this is the wrong board but any cheap good eats in London would be awesome!

Thanks!

Posted by
7175 posts

I would island hop from Split to Dubrovnik.

9-11 Zadar (with day trip to Plitivice Lakes)
11-13 Split
13-15 Bol
15-17 Korcula
17-21 Dubrovnik (with day trips to Mostar & Kotor)

Posted by
27063 posts

I urge you not to try to hit Plitvice en route or as a day-trip. It gets mobbed with people who stay elsewhere and show up by perhaps mid-morning. You really, really need to spend the previous night near the park so you can beat the day-trippers. Others have enjoyed a few hours in the park during the late afternoon, after the day-trippers have departed.

Montenegro has many really interesting destinations that you could visit rather easily if you're going to have a rental car (verify that it's OK to take the car into all the countries you're planning to visit). Herceg-Novi, Cetinje (road may be challenging), and Budva (rather similar to Kotor, though) were among my favorites. There are some beautiful natural areas, too.

Posted by
2701 posts

We've spent a great week based in Kotor after a RS tour. Many interesting places to day trip. But, this was the vacation from our vacation: http://www.montenegro4sail.com. We had 2 teens with us and between the diving and swimming off the boat, exploring an abandoned island fortress, the crazy little dogs, it was one of the highlights of our trip. Here is your extra unplanned day in Kotor!

Posted by
7175 posts

I, too, wondered about the wisdom of Plitivice as a day trip. But for many people it's a 'bucket list' item.

Posted by
1446 posts

London cheap food: Hit the deli in the corner grocery and picnic in park. Pub food can be tasty too even though it is probably microwaved. Eat a big breakfast where you are staying as it may be included. Go to the street markets...there are food booths and nook cafes. There may be a Costco but I don't know if there are as liberal with samples as ours are.

Posted by
202 posts

Our teens are going to be 14, 16, 17. We will have a rental car and I read that the green Insurance book is good for all three countries and not to pay any extra fees to take the car into these countries if they try to charge you. I hope it's true. I will look more into that.

I really don't want to even drive to Plitvice at all. I would rather skip it but my husband seems to think it's a must do. I'm trying to convince him it will be mostly dried up by September. I would much rather go sit on the beach. We will be going directly from the airport and our flight is arriving at 7:40 am. Which puts us there in the thick of it but it is September and not August so hopefully not that bad.

Thank you for all the pointers. So should we do two nights in Kotor Bay or 1 night in Cavtat?

Posted by
72 posts

He likes National parks. Than from Zadar driving to Plitvice national park. Stay one night there and drive to Split. Day trip to Bol. Than drive to Mostar - Dubrovnik . One more national park which I will recommend is Island Mljet. Staying in Dubrovnik or Korcula you can visit Mljet by day trip.

Have a good time on the sandy beaches!