Please sign in to post.

Islands near Dubrovnik

We will have a free day in Dubrovnik in May and would like to catch a local ferry to a nearby island. We visited Lokrum on an earlier visit and it was delightful, but this time we'd like to try another destination.
Any suggestions - Lopud, Miljet, Sipan, Kolocep ...? bearing in mind that it will be too cold to swim and that we will be on foot once we reach the island. Thanks, Lynne

Posted by
795 posts

I suggest Brac and Hvar. I have in-laws in Croatia so visit often and these two are my favorites. There is plenty to see and do in both and there is good food to stop for a meal. In Brac, you could still walk on the Golden Horn Beach even if not swimming and the Branislav Deskovic Fine Art Center has some wonderful works. It is housed in a 17th century Renaissance building. Also impressive is the 15th century Dominican Monastery which has a museum that includes famous artist Tintoretto's Madonna with Child. Don't miss touring the Dragon's Cave with its dragon reliefs inside. There are many things to do on both.

Posted by
971 posts

If it is for a day trip Hvar and Brac are probably too far away. I have been to Mjlet and Korcula both are within day trip distance from Dubrovnik. Lopud, Sipan and Kolocep i have not been to so i cannot comment on them.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Korcula is very nice and the old town is very scenic, but it is also very similar to Dubrovnik, albeit not as impressive. Mljet is more about nature, there is a lovely national park with pine forrests and a lake with a monastery on and island in the middle. If you take the ferry to Polace you can walk to the national park.

Posted by
66 posts

Terri Lynn,
I have contacted a couple of different ferry companies in the area to try to find out if it is possible (in late April) to take a ferry from Split to Hvar and back for just a day visit, but I got conflicting answers. I can't find any concrete information. Do you happen to know if that is possible? and how? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted by
77 posts

We did one of the day trip boat outings that went to 3 of the Elaphite Islands - Kolocep, Lopud, and either Miljet or Sipan. It was okay, but the islands are so small and quiet that they're really only good for swimming. We only went once, so if someone more experienced says there is more to do than they are probably right. But our impression was that there wasn't much. And after relaxing on the long boat ride to/from Dubrovnik and all the islands, we were ready for a little more activity by the time we got to those islands, though my husband did enjoy doing lots of swimming there. I've heard that Korcula is more interesting, though makes for a longer day trip I think.