Please sign in to post.

Islands in Croatia itinerary May 2022

A group of 4 friends are planning this trip, we are active 60-somethings : Santorini 3 nights, Dubrovnik 2 nights, then ferry to the islands on May 26. We will be in Split May 29-31 prior to departure home. The question is, how to best enjoy the travel time between Dubrovnik and Split? We would like to have fewer hotel changes, so we are considering a home base in Korcula, taking day trips to other islands like Hvar or ??. We have some concern about just going to places that are very popular, and would love to see some places that are less crowded and noisy. We will not have a car. We haven't found a great place on Korcula, have seen mixed reviews for the ones we've looked at, and are open to staying somewhere else. Would love any advice/recommendations. Thanks so much!

Posted by
3836 posts

Do you want beach time and relaxing? You could easily spend the time on Korčula. Korčula town has been described as a mini Dubrovnik. There are great restaurants, a few small museums, an tower climb at the cathedral. You could take a very small ferry to the island of Vrnik for a swim and lunch. About a 15 minute ride. There are about 20 homes, very few people live year round, but the old school was converted into a 2 bedroom hotel and they serve lunch. Only place on the island. Or you can bring a picnic. The ferries along the pier have signs for times or you could pay extra and have them take/pick you up. That’s what we do. Also, You can take a bus or hire a driver to go to the end of the korčula, Vera Luka for lunch and a nice walk. There are a few small towns where you can walk along the water and have a lovely meal. Our cousin owns a cafe and they speak English. It is a hangout for locals and very low key, but there is a dart board. You can bring food and just order drinks. I can also recommend a B&B which is in the center of town (disclosure - also owned by a cousin who also lives in the home). The rooms are large and very inexpensive. You can see it on booking.com under Guesthouse Jungher. It is always better to book directly.

Posted by
3961 posts

I agree with Barbara. If you are interested in beach time and a relaxing base, Korcula would tick your boxes! Like Barbara said, it is like a mini Dubrovnik without the crowds! We were in Korcula in 2018 on our tour of the Adriatic. We stayed 2 nights but would have gladly stayed longer. The island vibe is magical. Our amazing tour hotel was across the street from the beach and an easy walk to the wonderful restaurants. http://www.hotel-korsal.com/hr/

Posted by
2948 posts

Rome2rio doesn’t show schedules but from Vela Luka on Korčula you might be able to take a ferry to Hvar (1h).

Posted by
4073 posts

Ok, it looks like you are only talking about 3 nights, May 26-29, right? I loved Korćula also and would happily go back for a week (spent 3 nights there in September). The Krilo catamaran takes about an hour and a half to Hvar, so it would be easy to take a day trip there if you run out of things on Korćula.

*Edit: Regarding Mary Pat’s comment, the Krilo catamaran arrives in Korćula Town, not Vela Luka, but maybe Jadrolinija arrives there. That wasn’t an option for me.

I took a full day wine tour on Korćula and spent some time in the Aegean, as well as wandering around the small waterfront area (plus time for my return Covid test, which won’t be applicable for you). I am sure there are boat tours you can take, as well. I booked a 2 bedroom called Sorelle Apartment via booking.com, but it had 2 double beds so might not be what you need. But it was a darling little apartment if you are ready for stairs.

Posted by
2948 posts

*Edit: Regarding Mary Pat’s comment, the Krilo catamaran arrives in Korćula Town, not Vela Luka, but maybe Jadrolinija arrives there. That wasn’t an option for me.

Yes, Rome2rio says it's serviced by Jardrolinija.

Posted by
3836 posts

If you are interested in wine tours, Blato, yes Blato, is where you would go. If you look at a map, the island isn’t that big, but very long. It doesn’t take too long to get anywhere. There is also the Hotel Fabris (no relation this time). Korčula is where my husband’s family originated before many moved to the mainland.

Posted by
2 posts

thank you all very much for sharing your experience and advice! We will spend 3 days on Korcula, go winetasting, and do a day trip to the nearby islands.