Please sign in to post.

Hvar & Korcula October 7 th 2018 to Oct 12 th

We will be travelling to Dubrovnik and then Hvar & Korcula in Oct

we are a family of 3 planning to visit Croatia in October . While I know it's no issue for Larger places such as Split & Dubrovnik , I believe a lot of Hvar & Korcula is shut .While we enjoy fewer crowds and a cooler climate , we are not happy with a Ghost town , no people and bars & restaurants shut . What's your advice ? Will ferries be operational Dubrovnik to Hvar ?

Has anyone been to the Dalmatian coast in October ?

Posted by
6113 posts

I stayed in Stari Grad on Hvar in September a couple of years ago and by the time I left at the end of the third week of September, it was becoming a ghost town with a very out of season feel. Many restaurants, hotels, campsites etc close at the end of September.

The weather broke the day we headed home too and turned cooler and rainy. Friends who stayed on longer said the weather didn’t improve after we had left.

The daily Krilo catamaran from Split/Dubrovnik/Korcula runs in October, but reverts to the winter timetable at the end of the first week in October from memory. It didn’t run for a couple of days in September due to strong winds when I was there.

We stopped on the mainland at a small resort for a coffee and only one cafe was open and that was September!

Travelling in October, I would stick to the mainland.

Posted by
3112 posts

I was in Hvar town at the end of September. It wasn't crowded but many businesses were open. Not sure whether that changes in early October.

The Krilo catamaran from Dubrovnik to Korcula to Hvar to Split runs until October 15. The catamarans going south to north run in the late afternoon. You can check schedules at www.krilo.hr. The Jadrolinija catamaran schedule moves to low season on October 1, so they only run from Korcula - Vela Luca (opposite end of island from Korcula town) to Hvar to Split. Hvar to Split catamaran runs in the morning. You can check schedules at www.jadrolinja.hr - look at Local Lines for District of Split. Note that dates on the schedules are European, so 1.10 is October 1.

Posted by
16 posts

We were in Korcula in at the very end of September into the first weekend of October, 2016. There were still plenty of tourists and the shops/restaurants were all open (at least, most were open) but many folks we talked to said that they were about ready to close for the season. The weather we had was fantastic—sunny, warm enough for swimming but not incredibly hot—though as previous posters have said, it's kind of a crap shoot at that time of year and could be rainy. We had a great time, but it will be a different experience than going at the height of summer.