Please sign in to post.

HELP I'm stuck planning trip from Venice to Croatia Plitvice Lakes then to Ljubljana July 2015

We are family of 4 including 4 and 6 year old. We are planning to start in Venice then possibly take the ferry to Croatia and spend time on beach and visit Plitvice Lakes then for 24 hours in Ljubljana before heading north to Czech Republic. We like to utilize public transportation, but that seems too hard to do to Plitvice Lakes without accommodations there. 2 issues. Was going to spend time on beach in Pula - port where ferry from Venice lands. Rick Steve's calls it "not quaint" "smoggy". Has anyone visited there? where should we stay instead ? Split or Dubrovnik are too far south for our itinerary. Suggestions please? Then I'm having hard time getting to Plitvice Lakes. The hotels are already booked for july 2015 in the park. Should we rent a car? Is it much extra to rent it in Pula or such and return it in Ljubljana? PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted by
104 posts

I've been to Istria several times, including Pula. The city has some good Roman ruins with a nice coliseum, but it is a bigger port city. Instead, I'd choose Rovinj, a very pretty town on the west coast of Istria. Ferries from Venice travel there as well as Pula, but you should know that ferry schedules are more limited in the off season. See this website for ferry schedules: www.venezialines.com/schedules

Beaches in Istria are pretty rocky, not sandy, but the water is beautiful. You can pick up a car in Rovinj and use it for exploring the nearby hill towns as well as a day trip to Pula. Enterprise has an office there, see www.autoeurope.com for car rental options. You can then drive to Plitvice national park and spend a night or two there, before heading to either Zagreb or Rijeka, to drop off the car and travel by train or bus to Ljublana. Picking up a car in Croatia and dropping in Slovenia will incur a pretty steep international drop fee (can be several hundred euro), as opposed to dropping at a different location within the same country (€40-50).
Trains from Rijeka: 2 direct trains daily, 1 around noon and one about 20:30 in the evening, the trip takes 3 hours.
From Zagreb: 4 or 5 direct trains daily, taking 2.5 hours. Train tickets are pretty inexpensive in Croatia, less than $20 U.S. for either of these trips (but of course you will be purchasing in Croatian Kuna). They can be purchased on the spot or the day before. See the German Die Bahn site for looking at train schedules and routes anywhere in Europe: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Not sure how much time you have, but after Ljubljana I'd consider Lake Bled, which is one of my favorite places in the region. The lake is almost entirely circled by a walking path, the water very clean and has a great swimming area for the kids (They charge to enter, which is common in many places in Euruope). and there's even a castle on the bluff overlooking the lake.

Posted by
77 posts

It is not difficult to drive in that part of Croatia, or in Slovenia. Not sure about Czech Republic. We drove in that area in July 2014 and, while we had trouble in some countries, Croatia and Slovenia were not difficult. Ljubljana is a wonderful city. Make sure to stay in the "old downtown". And definitely stay there more than one night. We found Istria/Rovinj/Pula very boring. Ljubljana gives you the option of having lots to do or just relaxing with a glass of wine or cup of coffee overlooking the river and the beautiful architecture.

Posted by
5381 posts

I have traveled to these places, also with children. You should rent a car, no question. Public transportation in Italy and Slovenia are not very extensive. Having a car will greatly improve your trip, especially with kids.

Pula - When we stayed in Istria, our base was just outside of Porec, another lovely little town. I really also liked Pula and found Rovinj just lovely. Motovun, in the hills, is also worth a look. Piran, however, in Slovenia is the real Istrian gem for me. Keep in mind, Istria is a very small area. Personally, I focus more on finding an accommodation that suits me and my family, rather than get hung up on choosing a specific town. You might find a great house to rent just outside of Pula, for example, and then just drive up to Rovninj for the day to explore.

Beaches - In Istria, there are no sandy beaches so with smaller kids you have to properly prepare. When we were there, that meant water shoes and watch out for jellyfish. The water was beautifully clear, but the rocks and drop offs can be a bit stressful for the parents. We really liked the day we spent exploring Cape Kamenjak, just south of Pula. You might find a kid-friendly cove there.

Plitvice - You don't have to stay in the park so don't stress about that. We stayed about a 10 minute drive outside of the park in a lovely family run B&B.

Posted by
271 posts

The previous comments are spot on. And, a rental car is a must but an affordable option for a family.
Rovinj is one of my all time favorite stays. While there's lot's of swimming (but unlike San Diego or Miami) and water activities, the town is FULL of lively cafes and shops full of artists and craftsfolks. Nearby Porec is also a MUST see; Pula - if time permits the Coliseum is outstanding. If you took a ferry to Split, I'd rent a car, stay a night or two in Trogir (tied with Rovinj as a fav), then drive up to Rovinj and explore Istria. Now you'll have easy and flexible means to Plitvice.
Wondering why you're by passing Hungry for Czech Republic? Budapest, Eger, and Pecs are much closer; as is heading straight North into Austria. In fact, two years ago I found a great Sixt rental from Austria to Croatia with a fair (not cheap) drop-off fee which enable us to pickup in Vienna and leave the car in Dubrovnik. The CR is a great destination but I'm a big proponent of not biting off too big of an itinerary - trying too many ends up with too many hours in transport and not enough time to enjoy.
Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi,

If you are visiting Istria you should defintly visit some small towns which are not on coast. Motovun for example. http://www.tz-motovun.hr/ I also suggest several good restaurants with truffles. Istria is famous for truffles. Croatia and Slovenia have excellent highway network. Renting a car is very smart decision if you travel with familiy.

Ljubljana is probably the most beatiful small capital city in Europe.

Dubrovnik is an exciting city in Croatia with the mix of history and adventure. You can have a great tour in this city and explore the medieval environment. Also enjoy the coastal nature and the adventure activities like sea kayaking, cruising and many more. Check this Dubrovnik travel guide to know more about this city.

Posted by
167 posts

This year Rovinj improved its already beautiful waterfront by putting a flat, architect-designed, limestone contoured beach area in front of the Monte Mulini, Lone and Eden Hotels. It is open to the public. You can walk there in 10 minutes from the main square in Rovinj. Pebbles and a shallow bay make it safer for children, some of whom are still swimming there today. Look at www.tzRovinj (tourist bureau) website. This is much more accessible and beautiful than Pula. You can rent bikes or push strollers into the adjacent green park and its many bays, some of which have new sand for swimming. Watershoes are a must in Croatia - sea urchins do not discriminate. The ferry from Venice, as noted, stops at both Pula and Rovinj in season. You can sometimes just look at the Amphitheatre from the catamaran - pay the extra for the upstairs, airy VIP lounge - if it goes Venice-Pula-Rovinj that day. As it can get in late, organize accommodation before you arrive at dusk. Hotel Adriatic in the main square may be renovated this winter, but is a basic large hotel steps from where the Venice ferry lands - or used to, on the main Mol.Both Enterprise and Oryx have offices in Rovinj to rent cars (Oryx is convenient, right before the marina and the new waterfront ). A bus also goes from Rovinj to Llubjana - see www.autotrans.hr . Because the Croatia/Slovenia border is still the official edge of the Schengen zone, it is a real border, and 'other country drop-off fees' are reported as high. Rab island has a rare sandy beach for children, who may not be of an age to appreciate Plitvice and the drive to get there. Istria and the northern Adriatic islands all have so much to offer, I would leave Dubrovnik for a separate trip - out of season! Cres and Losinj islands are fabulous and easy to drive to from Rovinj or Pula. See the Jadrolinija ferry website for the Brestova schedule from eastern Istria. There is a big ferry to Zadar and Split from Rijeka, if you want an overnight adventure and a visit to two gorgeous coastal towns.

Posted by
4637 posts

Craig is wondering why you go to the Czech Republic and not to Hungary. I would say it has something to do with your nick slunicko (which means little sun in czech).

Posted by
1506 posts

We were in Croatia and Slovenia in September/October and agree with Craig and Emily. You say you want to spend time on the beach but you don't say how many days/nights you plan to spend in Croatia and Slovenia so these suggestions might offer more than you have time for.
1)Rental car is a good way to travel. Roads are good, often better than ours in California. But - if you rent in one country (Pula) and return in another (Ljubljana) it will be very expensive. You might want to drop the car off somewhere in Croatia and take the bus to Ljubljana. You will not need a car in Ljubljana but if you want a car there to visit Lake Bled you can rent one for a couple of days.
2)Rovinj is a great place to stay - beach, old town, restaurants. You can rent bikes and ride along the coast a bit, which your children might like. We're in our early 70s and we rode out and back in an hour. Depending on how much time you have you can take a day trip to Pula or to some hill towns. We liked Zvarsje, almost abandoned but great for walking (or running in the case of children) through, and Groznjan.
3)There are lots of B&Bs within less than a 10 minute drive from Plitvice. We stayed at Guesthouse Plitvice House Pox. You can check them out on booking.com as well as others in the area.
4)If you have time, Trogir is a great place to spend a couple of nights. Great old town and driving distance to Split and Krka National Park if you wish to visit them.
5)Also, if you have time, from Ljubljana you might want to visit Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj. This would be best as a one or two night stay in Bled.
There is so much to see and do in this part of the world. Have fun choosing!