Please sign in to post.

Ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari

Next September, we will be taking a Rick Steves tour of Croatia and ending in Dubrovnik. We would like to go to Bari, Italy for about five or six days. Has anyone had experience of taking the ferry to Bari and car rentals there? Also, any input as far as an itinerary once in Bari would be appreciated. Our plan is to drive south and staying in scenic and interesting villages or towns with good accommodations and great restaurants.

Posted by
4637 posts

We did that after R.S. Adriatic Tour 2 years ago, also in September. The ferry was overnight leaving Dubrovnik at 10 pm arriving to Bari at 8 am. I bought cabin tickets while we were in Split. If you want to sleep in bed I recommend to buy tickets ahead. It was not necessary for those who were taking just seats. Bari is not really a tourist town but is big enough to have car rentals. We took a taxi to the train station and went to Naples.

Posted by
11613 posts

Did this three years ago, very easy. You could go south to Lecce, Otranto; inland to Matera; north to some of the small coastal towns north of Bari, and Alberobello.

Posted by
220 posts

We took the ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik in 2016. Book a room with a bathroom for the most comfort. Ferry is very basic, but it gets you there. We thought Bari was a nice city. We dropped a car off their so there are car rental agencies in the town.

We did the heel of Italy, traveling from Naples across and enjoyed the south. Very different than the north. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
27 posts

Any recommendations for the ferry line? We are traveling this summer. I understand there are 2 to choose from. We would probably do the overnight with a bath in the cabin. Any recs on cabin requests? I get motion sickness pretty easily.

Thanks!

Posted by
4375 posts

Not sure about the ferry, and just a reminder to post on the Italy page too, if you have not already.
I rather enjoy old town Bari, but with only 5-6 days, you will likely not stay longer than lunch. There is a Hertz office (and others) near the train station, and it is easy to get out of town from that location.
How many days do you generally prefer to stay in one place? How many hours do you like to drive for day trips? While it seems like a small area, there are many many options, depending on your preferences.
For nearby stops, I like Monopoli at the seaside and Cisternino inland. Also, Matera in Basilicata is amazing. I would stick to a rough triangle between Matera, Bari, and Brindisi (encompassing the coast and the Itria Valley)--but I move rather slowly.