Please sign in to post.

Ferries from Croatia to Italy

In October 2023, we are finishing a tour in Split Croatia and need to travel to Ancona Italy. Any experience making this crossing by ferry ? Who did you book it through? Was it an overnight ferry? Are the bookings reliable? That is did the operator change the schedule? Was the ferry rocky? We are weighing the ferry against flying to Italy. Any comments? Thanks for any help.

Posted by
2330 posts

We did that a few years ago, after a holiday in Croatia. We then just took the train back to Switzerland from Ancona.

There are a few companies on this route. They are reliable. Booking in advance can save you some money, and/or get better cabins. We booked so early we got the owner's suite for about 150,- euro...

Two companies on that route are SNAV (Italian) and Jadrolinija (Croatian).

snav.it
jadrolinija.hr

Be aware that Split is called "Spalato" in Italian, and you will see it mentioned as such quite often on the Italian SNAV site.

Posted by
755 posts

We took the ferry from Ancona to Split and it was an overnight trip. I believe it was on the SNAV line. Very glad we got a room which had a bathroom with shower. The booking was reliable, on schedule, and no, it was not rocky, which doesn’t mean it never is I suppose. I also looked at flying, but very glad I made this enjoyable crossing instead.

Posted by
5687 posts

I'd love to make this trip someday if it works out. I've taken overnight ferries before and they were really comfortable. I was in Split last fall and used the Jadrolinija ferries locally to island hop and they were great.

Posted by
4124 posts

Check at croatiaferries.com. SNAV does not make the trip everyday. It is an 11 hour trip. We’ve taken an overnight ferry on Jadrolinija with a cabin. We did it once without a cabin and said never again.