Please sign in to post.

Feasibility of transport and ferries in August 2020

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Croatia in August of this year of about 7 or 8 days. Trying not tu have a very overwhelming trip, I had thought about going to Split by plane, from there going Korcula by ferry and from there moving by car around the island and the peninsula, making a view of Mostar and going to Dubrovnik and back in plane from there.

The questions are as follows:

• Do you think it is a good idea to rent a car from Split, get on the ferry (and the car too) to Vela Luka (Korcula) and from there move by car to Dubrovnic doing the whole route? I would like to do it so to have flexibility to go to the places I want whenever I want, beaches, etc. But what worried me is if in August it is difficult to get the car to the ferry.

• Do you think there is the possibility that some agency let me rent the car directly in Vela Luka and let me return the vehicle in Dubrovnik? Do you think this option would be better?

• The ferry from Korcula to Orebic is easier to transport the car, is that so?

• Do you think the route is well planned? It would be something like a night in Split, two nights in Korcula, a night or two in Mostar or the area and two nights in Dubrovnic.

Thank you very much in advance!

Posted by
4316 posts

If you were going in May or June, I would not hesitate to recommend driving, but I would worry that in August, traffic and crowds might hinder this plan. You will have to queue up quite early for the ferry.
Vela Luka is pretty small--I would be surprised if you found an agency that allowed a Dubrovnik drop off, bu I could be wrong. I know you can do day rentals in Korcula. That might be the way to visit Mostar, as that is the one complication in your plan if you chose to use public transport. Check car rentals in Orebic just in case.