Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnik to Prague

Three of us need to get from Dubrovnik to Prague on October 18. There are no direct flights that time of year. Best flying options are Austrian Airlines thru Vienna with a 35 minute connection (airport and airline web sites say it's doable,) or Lufthansa via Munich with almost 2 hours to connect, but arriving at 9PM. There is a train from Vienna to Prague, but it also would be a tight connection. Anyone have any other ideas? Buses or private transfer part way? We're trying to keep costs as low as possible. Thank you.

Posted by
6399 posts

Croatia is in Schengen now so I would not worry about 35 minutes in Vienna. It's a much smaller airport compared to Munich.

Posted by
17927 posts

I wouldn't do 35 minute transfer unless you are okay spending the night when you flight arrives late.

Check the options out of Podgorica to Prague and maybe Zadar to Prague.

Posted by
5385 posts

Getting from Dubrovnik to Prague is expensive and complicated as the airlines likely know that only tourists would travel this route. I had a look on Google flights and see that it is much cheaper to fly out to Split as that airport is served by several low cost airlines like EasyJet. It is about a 4.5 hours bus ride from Dubrovnik to Split. Maybe you can change your plans around a bit?

Posted by
5385 posts

Dubrovnik to Zadar on Flixbus takes nearly 10 hours. Gross.

Posted by
6399 posts

In many cases, flying to or from a nearby airport and travel on land the first/last bits can be a great option in Europe. I've seen many Americans trying to find flights to/from small airports while ignoring the large hub that is only a short train ride away.

But, Zadar is around 300 km from Dubrovnik in a part of Europe without any high speed trains, so I would not consider that as an option if it was my trip.

Posted by
90 posts

Badger, if I were alone I would probably risk it, but I'll be with a couple of friends who are leery. Mister E, you should see my spreadsheet with all kinds of options for routes and transport. It's the only way I can process it.
We would like to take a train part way, but the schedules don't match up.
I found a reasonable airfare on bookingdotcom for the flights thru Munich, so it looks like we'll do that. I'm familiar enough with Prague that I'm comfortable with an arrival after dark.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Posted by
6399 posts

Badger, if I were alone I would probably risk it, but I'll be with a
couple of friends who are leery. […] We would like to take a train
part way, but the schedules don't match up.

When do the the flight via Vienna depart and arrive? Worst case scenario might be that you're rebooked on a later flight to Prague. There are also many trains between Vienna and Prague so if you want to take the train for part of the trip that seems possible.