Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnik or Malta for 3 days late April 2022?

Looking for a 3-4 day side trip from Istanbul. Thinking of Dubrovnik or Malta. Is 3-4 days too long for just Dubrovnik? What other close by city in Croatia could we visit Split? Or, is there more to see and do in Valletta, Malta for 3-4 days? We probably won’t get to see everything in Valletta, but that is okay.

Should we do Dubrovnik? Dubrovnik and Split? Or Malta (Valletta)?
Thanks in advance.
** Edit: Already been to Cappadocia and most of Turkey. We have an airline deal that makes it very worth it to see a nearby country and we have 4 days.
Do Dubrovnik and Split?
Dubrovnik and Montenegro?

Posted by
1402 posts

Why not fly to Cappadocia in Turkey? It has a landscape that looks like you're on another planet, there
are centuries-old underground cities you can tour, and great hiking ( google "Goreme Outdoor Museum").
You can fly in an hour to either Nevsehir or Kayserei Airport from Istanbul for hundreds of dollars less than
Malta or Croatia.

Posted by
7049 posts

Yes, 3-4 full days is too much for Dubrovnik (just the old city) and not enough for Malta (unless you only see Valetta and you enjoy all the museums and attrctions there)....BUT, if you pair Dubrovnik with a side trip to Montanegro, then it's perfect.

If it were me, I would probably do a Princes Islands side trip from Istanbul or see Bursa. I would just stay in Turkey, and even see more of Istanbul.

Posted by
1520 posts

Create a post on the Turkey forum asking for help on defining a three day after your stay in Istanbul. Believe you will be pleasantly amazed at how many additional layers to discovering Turkey exists for your travel enjoyment.

Posted by
183 posts

Thanks for the replies. We have been to Cappadocia and many other parts of Turkey. It’s all beautiful! We have an airline deal that makes it very worth going to a nearby country.
Does anyone think it makes sense to do Dubrovnik and Split?
Agnes, you mentioned Dubrovnik and Montenegro. Where in Montenegro? How would we get from Dubrovnik to Montenegro?

Posted by
2943 posts

The Bay of Kotor in Montenegro would make a nice excursion and you can take a shuttle to get there.

Posted by
6113 posts

If the flights work, I would head to Malta. Sticking to as few countries as possible is advisable at present and therefore I wouldn’t combine Croatia with Montenegro. Malta is easy to get around by bus and 4 days would give you a flavour if its history and culture. Dubrovnik can be seen in 2 days.

Posted by
2123 posts

I would do Croatia & Montenegro. Fly into the Dubrovnik airport, which is south of the city near a gorgeous little seaside village called Cavtat. Stay in Cavtat 3-4 nights. Spend one day in Dubrovnik (via bus or boat from Cavtat). Take a day trip to Montenegro via rental car or tour (Perast on the Bay of Kotor is gorgeous). And for your third day, you can relax and enjoy beautiful Cavtat or take a boat trip to three little nearby islands.