Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnik in May

Hi fellow RS Travelers!

I'm firming up my plans for my husband and me. One place where I'm soliciting your opinion is whether or not to cut something to add more time in Dubrovnik. Right now, we'll arrive by ferry from Korcula at 11:55 on Thursday. We'll stay Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with Saturday being a day trip to Montenegro with a rental car.

However, I'm wondering if I should:

A) Cut out Montenegro and just spend the day in Dubrovnik. It's cheaper and there's no car and border hassle. But, Saturday will be a huge cruiseline passenger day so it's a good day to not be in Dubrovnik. And, as my husband says, we'll be so close to a whole other country....!

B) Cut out Korcula and stay on the ferry to Dubrovnik on Wednesday to add a day to the front end. It would cut out a one-night-stand with a hotel reservation. (I don't like staying just one night places.) But, then we'd miss experiencing Korcula, and I don't know what we'd be missing. FWIW, the sword dancing doesn't start until early June so that's off the table anyway.

C) Leave it as it is. Is 2.75 crowded days enough for Dubrovnik? We don't leave for Mostar until 16:00 the following Monday.

TYIA!
Jenifer

Posted by
4078 posts

You could do it any of those ways and have a wonderful trip! That being said, for me, 2 1/2 days in Dubrovnik could suffice. Not that there isn’t more to see and do - but that would be enough time to give you a good feel.

I can’t speak to a day trip to Montenegro, as I plan to spend nearly 2 weeks there in the fall. But I love Korćula, so my choice would be to spend 2 nights there, stealing the night/day trip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik. Then come back and see more of Montenegro later.

Posted by
3843 posts

Dubrovnik’s old city is very small. There are some interesting museums which always seem to be empty. Like TexasTravelmom said you can find things to do but 2 1/2 days is more than enough.
Spend two nights on korčula. Stay in Korčula town. Spend the Saturday the cruise ship is in by taking a bus to Cavtat or the local ferry to Lokrum island. There is a lovely cafe and it’s a nice park. If you watched Game of thrones you’ll see familiar places. The cruise people usually leave by early evening.
Montenegro is similar to Croatia in many ways.

Posted by
4384 posts

I’d have to see the entire itinerary, as the way I usually decide is a by looking at the entirety and making sure there is a balance. If it’s late May, you could explore some gorgeous cove beaches on Korcula, might be well worth another day there.

Posted by
2427 posts

Rather than the hassle of renting a car for a day, I would recommend taking a small group day tour from Dubrovnik to Montenegro.

Posted by
1603 posts

We hired a private driver to drive us around the Bay of Kotor. We chose the places to stop along the way: Budva, Kotor, and Perast. Perast was our favorite. This day was one of the highlights of our trip. My husband usually does the driving but I wanted him to be able to relax, enjoy the scenery, and not hassle with parking in the villages/cities where we stopped. Our driver was awesome. Because he is Croatian, he isn't allowed to act as a guide in the places we visited. But he gave us the history of Montenegro and suggested where to go in all 3 cities while driving.

I think that anyone of your 3 choices will be fine. But if it were me, I would choose option C because this way you get to visit Korcula, and also visit another country (Montenegro) even though it's only for one day. Also, you should ask yourself if you will return to this part of Europe at a future date. If you don't think you will, then spend the one night in Korcula and visit Montenegro for a day.

Posted by
6788 posts

Don't skip Korcula, it's delightful.

You only need one full day in Dubrovnik. If I had an extra day to spread around somewhere, I'd spend that extra day in Korcula rather than Dubrovnik.

Posted by
17918 posts

I love Montenegro, but a day trip yo tgr town of Kotor is a bit of a disapointment after Dubrovnik. And more than 2 full days in Dubrovnik would be a but much for me.

Posted by
76 posts

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

You have affirmed my thoughts. We'll leave the original plan in place to do one night in Korcula. And, I'll use my RS guidebook to find a driver/guide to Montenegro instead of renting a car.

Thank you again and Keep on Travelin'!

Posted by
1603 posts

JeniferB,
Regarding a private driver for the Bay of Kotor, first I contacted Julija Antunovic who receives all excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. She was not available the day we wanted to go, but she recommended her colleague, Stjepan. He was excellent. Very smart, knowledgeable, warm and friendly. I have lost my contact information but if you are interested, I am sure you can find Julija's contact information by doing a search on Trip Advisor.
Karen

Posted by
17918 posts

Here is another source for a driver. I've used her and a few friends have, all pleased. And she is in Montenegro, so you have the input of a local and plan a good day.

Dijana Krkotic

Executive director

Doclea Travel

Address: Bulevar Sv. Petra

Cetinjskog br. 79

81 000 Podgorica

Phone: +382 20 675 197

Mob: +382 69 277 749

E-mail:dijana@docleatravel.com

www.docleatravel.com

Posted by
76 posts

Thank you both for the recommendations! I have also asked the owner of the apartment we are renting.

Posted by
4078 posts

I will add that Dijana mentioned above has planned a hybrid “do my own thing/private driver/day trips” for 3 weeks for me in the fall. I obviously haven’t been yet, but absolutely love her plan. She is extremely reasonable, with industry connections.