Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnik City Walls now 200 kuna per person

FYI Just paid 200 kuna to walk the 1 1/4 mile city wall. That’s over $30. Per person!
Water is 45kuna almost $7.00 per bottle. Getting even pricier daily. Great place to visit though.

Posted by
167 posts

A recent 2018 study found that the average tourist off the cruise ships spent 10Euro in Dubrovnik. The new mayor gained major applause for negotiating (with the agency that schedules all cruise ship arrivals in the Mediterranean) so that instead of four at once, only two ships per day will be permitted at Gruz dock, preferably one am and one pm. This will benefit all involved and reduce the crisis of 'overtourism' that Dubrovnik epitomizes. There is no charge to walk Stradun Street and now you can. As for prices, try shopping where locals do, in Konsum, etc. Game of Thrones only added to the crowds, of course. The city needs as much income as possible to maintain and repair its historical buildings - to a strict 'conservation' code.

Posted by
3039 posts

I've been shocked by the prices. We have gone 4 times in 7 years, and will be back in Zagreb in 3 weeks. Plitvice is now easily 3x what we paid in 2011. The Dubrovnik city pass for 3 days was 150 Kn. Now it is 270. Wow. They are cashing in.

Posted by
2636 posts

I was in Dubrovnik in October 2017 and used the Dubrovnik card which I thought was good value for money but I did have a card for a week and was able to get to all the various museums use the buses and take a trip to Cavtat and of course walk the Walls. I did find it an expensive place to eat and drink in even in Lapad where I was staying. I thought the Old town prices way over the top and the quality of the food especially the seafood very poor.Not a place I would return to, been there done that and bought a hat.Nice enough place but not one for repeat visits.

Posted by
167 posts

A check of the Dubrovnik Tourist Board website confirms that adults are charged 200 kuna, but anyone under 18 or a student is only charged 50 kuna. Reduced or zero fees are charged to tour guides, journalists and many other categories. Local schools and clubs are not charged. Compare this to any European major gallery and it is similar. The walls and towers (Lovrenac costs 50 kuna to visit) are a massive complex that protected Ragusa for centuries. It had a trading agreement with Rovinj and other cities before 1200. As for the quality and price of food and drink in a tourist town flooded by day tourists, consider the logistics and limits that imposes. And if you only have a tourist economy left, wouldn't you charge what the rich visitors will pay? Try Croatia in shoulder season if possible.
By the way, seniors are offered big discounts on the bus network, worth asking for. Show ID at the ticket office to get this. Croatians measure age by birth year, so write down 1952 or whatever on the piece of paper you slide int with your bus date and time. It helps.

Posted by
1743 posts

Everyone laments overtourism.

Now many are turned off my the high prices and overcrowding in Dubrovnik and won't go back.

I feel like Yogi Berra.