Please sign in to post.

Day Trip from Dubrovnik

We will be in Dubrovnik over Easter weekend and on Saturday there are 2 large cruise ships docking. We thought that might be a good time to "get out of Dodge". We are thinking of a loop - Dubrovnik, Trebinje, Kotar, Dubrovnik with the return driving up the coast.

We will not include Mostar as we are spending a night there on our way to Sarajevo.

Does this seem like a good day trip? And if so are there other areas in the loop that would be good stops? We will be back in Dubrovnik for Easter Sunday and then on to Mostar and Sarajevo.

Thank you.

Posted by
26829 posts

I haven't been to Trebinje and haven't driven in Europe at all, but I suspect what you have laid out will chew up pretty much the whole day. If it does not, you could stop at Perast or Herceg Novi on the way back up the coast. H-N would be my choice, but I know some others like Perast.

Posted by
5687 posts

I would skip Trebinje (I spent a night there) if you have only a day for Montenegro. You'll need the whole day for just that. Trebinje is an interesting town for sure and would make for a very easy relaxed half day trip from Dubrovnik. (I wouldn't call it the most charming town I've been to - but on the upside, in April, you will be the only tourists there most likely, in contrast to Mostar.)

The highlight of driving to Kotor is the drive itself - the scenery along the bay is stunning. I would stop at Perast, too. When you get to Kotor, plan to hike up above the town up the "walls" (steep steps up) for a breathtaking postcard view down on Kotor and the bay.

Posted by
1 posts

Dear Cindy,

you can do a day trip from Dubrovnik over Trebinje to Kotor, without any problems, just be ready to get over border controls several times, and sometimes it takes up to 30 minutes over each border control. On Easter Dubrovnik will already be full of tourists.
Once back to the Montenegrin coast take a stop over in Perast, and visit the artificial island and the Lady of the rock church on it.

If you want to skip Trebinje, than go further down the Montenegrin coast, and from Budva turn to Cetinje, the historical capital of Montenegro for a visit to the Njegoš Mausoleum built on the top of Lovćen Mountain, 5700 ft high. The breathtaking black granite monument up in the sky, built on a ridge, with a view over the most of the Montenegrin hinterland is worth to be visited.

There is a small historical stone hearth in Budva, also.

You can visit Trebinje on Monday, on a way to Mostar instead on a way to Montenegro.

Have a great time in Dubrovnik.