Please sign in to post.

Currency

I've read the postings that say not to get foreign currency prior to arriving in Croatia, to get local funds at the airport and/or atms; but our landlord wants cash upon arrival. Anytime we've been in Europe or overseas elsewhere, our bank gives us a limit of about $300 daily. If that's all we can get daily, it will not be enough to pay the landlord for four days stay. If anyone else has had this issue, I'd appreciate any suggestions. We're going on our own as we were too late to sign up for RS's tour!

Posted by
7049 posts

Ask your landlord to allow you to pay over a few days due to your ATM withdrawal limits, or ask about paying through Paypal. If there are two of you, maybe you can increase your withdrawal limits and both use the ATM, although I wouldn't be thrilled to use up my entire daily ATM allotment just on lodging. Surely, he/she isn't going to demand you purchase currency ahead of time? I don't know what bank stocks up on kunas which aren't used anywhere other than Croatia.

If that's not acceptable, keep in mind that there are other options in lodging that don't require upfront payment in cash, but only a credit card to secure the reservation.

Posted by
5687 posts

Consider finding somewhere else to stay. There should be plenty of other options that won't require up-front cash payment.

Or, figure out the extra cost of obtaining Kuna ahead of time before you get to Europe - and decide if it's worth it to you to pay the surcharge. I.e., assume your landlord is charging you 5% to 10% more (or whatever the extra cost of the currency exchange might be). If you still think the price is far, then just bring enough Kuna to pay with you.

Posted by
2369 posts

Some banks will up the amount you can withdraw daily if asked--my credit union would do it for specific days. Of course, that's just one end of the problem.

Posted by
7049 posts

PS. How much is the total cost of the lodging for (assuming) 3 nights and 4 days? Two people can take out $600 combined per day according to your bank limit. Is that not enough? That assumes a $200 per night room rate.

Posted by
23242 posts

We carry two debit cards tied to two different accounts. We now have $1000 limit on one of the cards so we can hit both cards pretty hard when we need a lot of cash. Kind in mind that your daily limited is tied to your bank's time zone and that is generally is midnight. You might be able to hit your account twice in one day.

Posted by
2788 posts

In my 16 yearly trips to Europe, I have occasionally had a "landlord" request full payment for my stay when I arrive. The few times that that has happened I have notified the "landlord" of my limits to obtain local currency and that I would be able to give them the maximum amount of my daily withdrawal when I arrive and then the same amount the next day or two until I have paid off my balance.
I have only had one "landlord" refuse this arrangement and I notified them than I would not be staying with them after all and booked elsewhere. I am extremely cautious about getting into this kind of booking using lots of inquiries to assure that the lodging is as advertised. I also try to stay in places where I have stayed before or know someone who has stayed there. RS web site has always been a good source of information about places to stay in Europe.

Posted by
3820 posts

Did you ask him if he would accept Euros? When we stayed in Dubrovnik the landlord said he would accept Kuna, Euro, or a combination of both. I believe we paid upon arrival, but we have stayed at this apartment before and knew the owner. PS, they are in Rick’s book.

Posted by
3044 posts

If you cannot pay for 4 nights in Zagreb for under $300, you are not staying in the right place. Zagreb sobes are not expensive. Consider finding another place.

Posted by
8423 posts

Well, its not a crime to go ahead and get currency from your bank before your trip. Yes it will cost you, but why not, if it saves you from some trouble?

Posted by
16 posts

We hit the ATM at the airport and paid the whatever fee at my home bank to do it. And we hit local ATM’s again once in town. Never hit my daily limit but I was not trying to accumulate 5000 kuna (USD $750) in a day. Agree with above posters that landlord should work with you. Croatia is a bit back in time when it comes to payment systems. We found numerous places that wanted Kuna cash, no Euros, no credit cards which was fine with me. I just love that country and how it reminded me of old culture. You could maybe book with Airbnb (which also requires payment up front) but at least you can use your credit card on file with Airbnb.