We are going to Dubrovnik next month. A cruise ship is scheduled to be in port one of the days we are there. Does anyone know if the cruises are indeed up and running? How crowded are the walls, restaurants etc on those days? Should we just plan on getting out of town that day?
Cruisers usually don’t eat in the restaurants because of all the food they have on the ship. Most figure why pay for something they can get for free. Just go to Restaurants away from the stradun, on the Sea side. The restaurants near the Buza entrance are more touristy.
We are leaving from JFK on the 7th. We will be in Dubrovnik on the 8, 9 and 10th.
What day will the Cruise be in port?
There are so many things to see and do outside of Dubrovnik. Maybe take the ferry to Lokrum and then Cavtat...or go to the Konavle Valley and do some wine tasting? You could take a whole day and go down to Montenegro and the Bay of Kotor.
Dubrovnik is a great place to visit. Like anything else today, timing is key.
1) Get the Dubrovnik card
2) Start early - walk the walls right away
3) Tour boats come in the mid-morning - it's crazy then - go to the new town or the park or the island of Lokrum
4) Take a trip to Cavtat, a little town 45 by boat away - watch for windy days - apparently the trip can be unpleasant when it is windy
5) Visit my favorite bar, the Buzz Bar (not the more famous Buza Bar) on the land side. Cheap wine in the afternoon, always cats on the chairs
6) In the evening when the boats leave, you can get a more relaxed and pleasant experience