Please sign in to post.

Croatian trip in May, 2022 - thoughts about itinerary

My husband and I are planning a 12 night trip to Croatia in mid-May.

***Here's the tentative itinerary and my question is: do the 2 nights in Hvar and 2 nights in Korcula seem ok? What about going to the island of Vis or should we make one island our stop for 4 nights and take ferries to other islands each day. I'm thinking that it might be nice to "relax in one place. Thoughts????***

Day 1 Arrival in Zagreb - afternoon to explore city
Day 2 Two hour privately guided walking tour in morning
Day 3 Explore Plitvice Lakes for a few hours then on to Split, arriving in the evening
Day 4 Split - privately guided walking tour then hike up Marijan Hill in the afternoon
Day 5 Split - private full day boating excursion to Brac and Hvar
Day 6 Hvar - leisure day
Day 7 Hvar - private half day hiking excursion to lost village
Day 8 Hvar - ferry to Korcula - leisure day
Day 9 Korcula - privately guided half day hiking excursion on the island
Day 10 Korcula - ferry to Dubrovnik - walking tour of old town
Day 11 Dubrovnik
Day 12 Dubrovnik departure

Posted by
1658 posts

I would suggest a full day and that night in Plitvice. It is so well worth seeing this gorgeous national park. If you have to cut this day short, focus on the lower lakes.

Posted by
6113 posts

If you are happy with a rushed timeframe, then ok, but I would add a day to Zagreb, as your first day is likely to be lost to jet lag.

I would also stay at Plitvice the night before you go to the park to maximise your time there.

Vis is a pain transport wise if you are then heading south, so it will consume most of a day in transit to get to Dubrovnik.

Mid May could be very choppy for a boat trip. I would drop Hvar and spend the time on Korcula, otherwise you are rushed.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the timely response. I agree that we should probably have one extra night in Zagreb to get acclimated. Good suggestion.

Posted by
41 posts

HI, first post on this forum.

The response from Jnfr seems legit. Other islands are more near to the cost.

Let me clear, you would go to day boat tour on day 5 to Hvar from split, and then on day 7 actually come there. to hvar. maybe day in mostar rather. or cetina river kanuing..
I would add a wine tour at Korcula.

Kind regards

Posted by
3 posts

Revised itinerary: 11 nights in Croatia

Days 1 and 2 - overnight in Zagreb
Days 3 and 4 - overnight in Split
Days 5, 6 and 7 - overnight in Hvar
Days 8, 9, 10 and. 11 - overnight in Dubrovnik

Questions:
Should we do 3 nights in Split and 2 in Hvar? Which towns should we see by ferry from Split and Hvar?
What is the best to spend our 3 days in Dubrovnik?

I look forward to any and all recommendations.

Posted by
6883 posts

3 days in Dubrovnik is probably 2 days too many. Stunning as the town is, the sightseeing area is very, very small and very, very crowded... Not sure how ferry routes work, but I would keep the nights you planned in Korcula instead.

Posted by
41 posts

3 days Split and 2 days Hvar. Actually depends what kind of relax do you prefer. if this is daily tours and historic monuments I would say this is ok.

4 days in Dubrovnik can be used for
1 day inside old town, monuments, city tour, maybe nice dinner, Lapd area etc
1 day go to local islands or Lapad area, enjoy your day
1 day go to wine tour to Peljesac area, later have a dinner inside the city
1 day another day tour

But if you like more rular area, beaches etc go island Korcula

Posted by
763 posts

I think Dubrovnik is overrated, but still worth a busy day or two if you like to take time to eat and breathe. It's pretty and compact but crowded. I've been there twice, for a total of 4 days with different travel partners, so there was some overlap in our days there, but we were happy with walking the wall, going up Mt Srd on the cable car for the view and seeing the museum on the war up there (it's around the back of the building and not well-marked, so ask if you're interested), We also enjoyed walking the Stradun and visiting the ethnographic museum. I like that sort of museum, and theirs was very well done. There are a few other what I would consider minor sites--a couple of churches, a maritime museum (my husband's choice -- if you're a sailor it's great, not so much if you're not). While you're there, I'd suggest you take a look at at least one of the museums or memorials that show photos of Dubrovnik during the war and afterwards. It's nearly impossible to tell there was a war there that essentially destroyed the city. There are some photos at the end of the Stradun (walking away from the base of the wall) in a small memorial to some of the men who died in the defense of Dubrovnik. One other tidbit -- if you've got some flexibility, check the cruise ship schedule. One ship with 3,000 people and you've got a mess on your hands. Conservatively, for example, you'd have to allow 3 hours to wait in lines that would allow you take the cable car and look around a bit.

Posted by
1600 posts

I agree with Jennifer about spending a night at Plitvice Lakes to do it justice. The Park is stunning! I suggest visiting the Upper Lakes in the afternoon when the crowds are fewer, spend the night, and then see the Lower Lakes early the next morning. Make sure you are there by 9AM to beat the crowds. This is the strategy that most people use. Or you can see Lower Lakes first and then Upper Lakes the next morning.

If you decide to do this, I can recommend staying at Plitvice Miric Inn. They offer a delicious dinner for an extra cost and it is well worth it. And one of the best breakfast buffets we have ever had is included in the cost. They stopped serving dinner during Covid, but I have heard they have now resumed dinner.

Posted by
27062 posts

Having arrived at the Plitvice Lakes National Park (on a day-trip; don't do that!) at 10 AM back in 2015 (my third visit), I beg you to spend the night in the area. Take advantage of the late-afternoon time (if you can arrive early enough) to see part of the park, then be ready to enter the park when it opens the next morning. It is a lovely place, but the experience is severely compromised when the walkways are packed with people, walking in lockstep. The walkways are only slightly above the water, which is usually very shallow, so no one is going to drown. However, in most places there are no guardrails, so if one person stumbles, a bunch of folks could end up falling into the lake. It's really important to start the day as early as possible to get ahead of the crowds.

Shortly before the pandemic the park instituted a new ticketing procedure and began warning potential visitors they might not be allowed to enter if they arrived without tickets. As far as I know, this is not a situation in which you need to buy your ticket far in advance, but it is not advisable just to drive up to the park, expecting to buy a ticket there. For one thing, I spent a full hour in the ticket line!