Please sign in to post.

Croatia without Dubrovnik or Split

My husband and I are planning a 4 week trip this June to Italy, Slovenia, and Croatia. We keep hearing mixed reviews on Dubrovnik and Split regarding the crowds and how expensive they are. We have two options here, visit all of Croatia in 7 days, or just tour the Northern part and adding the Dolomites into our trip. Right now our itinerary is:

2 nights in Dubrovnik (day trip to Korcula)
1 night in Mostar
2 nights in Stari Grad (visiting Split on the way over)
1 night in Plitvice
2 nights in Rovinj

The other option would be starting at Zadar, going to Plitvice and the roaming around between Pula, Rovinj and Optija. Four or five days total.

Any suggestions? We keep going back and forth and wonder if we’d regret not seeing Dubrovnik and Split. But the Dolomites are calling my name…

Posted by
396 posts

We had a wonderful trip that included Croatia without visiting either Dobrovnik or Split or the Dolomites. We stayed in Trieste, Lubljana, Rovinj, one of the other small towns in Istria, and Zagreb over two weeks. Did a few day trips out to the mountains, Lake Bled, Pula. Your trip otherwise seems more rushed than I would want to do. But everyone has their own style. Enjoy the planning.

Posted by
883 posts

While I’d consider both very worthwhile even with the crowds, I don’t think they fit into your itinerary. It takes time and effort to move between these places. One or two night stays are kind of a waste there. And as it stands, your plans barely have you in Dubrovnik or Split anyway. Save this for when you can devote a full week to that stretch of the coast, and just stay in Rovinj for those days.

Posted by
5389 posts

I’ve been to Croatia about 20 times. I’ve never been to Dubrovnik.

Posted by
1610 posts

With 2 nights in Dubrovnik, you have one full day, and it looks like you plan on visiting Korcula as a daytrip from Dubrovnik. This plan really doesn’t make any sense. If you really want to see Korcula, why not spend 2 nights in Korcula instead?

Seven nights is not a lot of time for Croatia. We spent 2 weeks in Croatia and didn’t see everything. Seems like Italy and Slovenia are your priorities. Nothing wrong with that. So perhaps visit Northern Croatia on this trip, and save southern Croatia and the Dalmatian coast for a separate trip when you can give it more time.

I will add, however, that IMO both Dubrovnik and Split are absolutely worth visiting. Don’t be put off by the crowds. Try to visit when there aren’t any cruise ships in port or only a few cruise ships are scheduled to be in port. We visited in September 2019 (so pre-Covid crowds), and the crowds really weren’t that bad. They certainly didn’t ruin our trip for us.

Dubrovnik is beautiful with its location on the Adriatic, and walking the walls is a wonderful experience. You can take the cable car to the top of Mt.Srd and have drinks and/or dinner with gorgeous views. Visit War Photo Limited for a history lesson on the Balkans War. If you do visit Dubrovnik, I recommend 3 nights and you could include a daytrip to the Bay of Kotor if interested.

Split has beautiful architecture, and I love that it’s built around the ruins of Diocletian’s Palace. Have drinks on the Riva overlooking the Adriatic. Take a private guided tour of Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace with Maya Benzon. From Split, you can visit Hvar for a day and visit Trogir for a day.

You don’t have time for all of this unless you drop some other places. That’s up to you. I just want you to know that both cities are worth visiting. And we didn’t find them prohibitively expensive, either. More expensive than Zagreb, for example, but much less expensive than other European countries.

Posted by
3849 posts

Don’t worry about missing Dubrovnik and Split. Go for ease of travel. I’ve been visiting Croatia since 1978 and only got to Split in 2018. We still haven’t been to Šibenik and my husband grew up in Croatia.
Istria is just as beautiful and fun to visit. Enjoy your vacation!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for all the replies!!

We decided to stay north and do Plitvice Lakes and the Istria Peninsula. Any suggestions on where to stay as a base for Istria? I've heard Rovinj, Porec, Pula and Optija are good options.

Posted by
4413 posts

We decided to stay north and do Plitvice Lakes and the Istria
Peninsula. Any suggestions on where to stay as a base for Istria? I've
heard Rovinj, Porec, Pula and Optija are good options.

I have been to the country four times but not to Istria, but Rovinj seems to have tons of fans. Porec has always sounded underwhelming, and most just go to Pula for the ampitheatre. I used Opatija as a jumping off point for the northern islands of Cres and Losinj, and you might be able to fit those in for some island time. Both are gorgeous. Opatija is different from most of Croatia as it is Austro-Hungarian in flavor. I enjoyed it, but the nature is the draw for me. Lovran is pleasant also, and it backs into Ucka park, which you might find interesting.
If you are coming from Plitvice, you might also fit in Krk, where you would find more of the typical Venetian old town.

Posted by
3849 posts

Pula is the most central and largest of these cities. Opatija would be my last choice. An afternoon there is enough for me (because I remember it when is was a sleepy, little seaside town before gentrification).
Anyway, if you’re driving I would find a hotel with easy parking.