Please sign in to post.

Croatia May 2020

Hello!

As usual, the Rick Steves' boards were great help in locking down our itinerary. This is what we have for May 2020 (looking for feedback and any advice!):

Dubrovnik: May 4-7 (day trip to Mijlet National Park for hiking)
Tour of the Peljesac Wine Penninsula (private care hire): May 7th
Korcula: Overnight 7th, spend most of the 8th there
Brac: 8-11 (day trip to Hvar?)
Solta: 11th (staying at a fancy hotel for my 31st birthday!)
Split: 12-13, fly to Rome on the night of the 13th.

We have most of the transport figured out. Our private car hire is going to drop us at the port where we can catch a quick ferry to Korcula, taking the passenger ferry from Korcula to Brac, and then to Solta we can ferry to Split and the resort has a private boat transport. My main question is for restaurant recommendations and a care hire in Brac. Our ferry from Korcula arrives in Milna.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
4375 posts

If you are getting the ferry at Orebic, it takes you to a ferry port on Korcula (Domince) but not IN Korcula--there should be a bus to town, but I'd confirm that.
Are you staying in Milna?--I have not been there but have heard nice things. Google maps does show a car rental, but I know nothing about it. We rented a scooter--try to get to the monastery (we missed it).
You can get a ferry to Solta in case the hotel charges an arm and a leg for the boat--if it is included in the rate, then of course that will be nice.

It's been too long, but I think Adio Mare and Cucarin (bakery) are still classics in Korcula.

Ferry and catamaran operators:
https://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/sailing-schedule/local-lines-2019
https://www.krilo.hr/en/

Posted by
23 posts

Not sure where we are staying on Brac yet! The Lonely Planet guide raves about it, though. Seems much more our pace/price range than staying on Hvar for an extended period of time. Maybe we will do a split stay with Milna/Bol.

Would anyone recommend more than one night/day on Korcula? We wanted to avoid too much "hopping" around.

Thanks for the info about the car rental! Looks to be pretty straight forward and easy.

For anyone interested, this is where we are staying on Solta! https://www.martinis-marchi.com/

Posted by
4375 posts

I really love Korcula, but given your plans I would not want to deduct a night from anywhere else, and it breaks up the trip nicely. Since you will have a car, pick one base on Brac.
It may be a tad cold for swimming, but the beach at Bol has shallow water so fingers crossed you can at least take a quick dip.

Posted by
23 posts

Excellent, thank you! The passenger ferry doesn't depart Korcula for Brac until about 6:30 PM, so we will truly have the whole day there (combined with our 3:00 PM arrival the day before).

Posted by
4375 posts

That's a nice amount of time for Korcula, which is small. You could even take a day trip to Lumbarda, a pretty village with vineyards, by bike or bus. Or rent scooters and tool around the island.

Posted by
23 posts

So we had a bit of an adjustment to the itinerary - flights worked out that we are now getting in the 5th - so basically move everything up a day and take out a night on Brac. We have all accommodations booked except for our 1 night on Korcula (Airbnb? suggestions?). We decided to stay at Hotel Bol in Bol on Brac for our base, and to spend my actual birthday lounging at the beach/wine tasting/hiking around Bol.

Posted by
6113 posts

Hvar does not mean just Hvar town! I don’t care for Hvar town, but I love Stari Grad, Jelsa, Vrboska and the hill villages such as Dol and Vrisnik. They are like chalk and cheese, with no rowdy youngsters partying, just traditional cafes and restaurants, some good walking on Stari Grad Plain and into the hills and a quaint harbour all at a slower pace.

May is still low season for the boats, so staying on the north coast of Hvar may give you further options to Brac.