Please sign in to post.

Croatia itinerary help.

We are a group of 6 adults traveling from USA to Croatia , Budapest, Vienna and Prague, in late July. We need help to see if this is a doable itinerary. All of us enjoy outdoor activities and historical sites. We have 14 days, not including travel time. We're also thinking of hiring a guide and a van to take us from city to city.
1 22-Jul Saturday Leave USA
2 23-Jul Sunday Dubronvik
3 24-Jul Monday Dubronvik
4 25-Jul Tuesday Dubronvik
5 26-Jul Wednesday Split
6 27-Jul Thursday Split
7 28-Jul Friday Piltvice lakes
8 29-Jul Saturday Zagreb
9 30-Jul Sunday Zagreb
10 31-Jul Monday Budapest
11 1-Aug Tuesday Budapest
12 2-Aug Wednesday Vienna
13 3-Aug Thursday Vienna
14 4-Aug Friday Prague
15 5-Aug Saturday Prague
16 6-Aug Sunday Leave for USA.
Thank you for any help.

Posted by
6113 posts

It's your trip, not mine, but I would drop Vienna, Budapest or Prague, as you have 3 cities in 6 days, including travel time, so you are only going to get 1.5 days in each, which isn't enough time to do each justice. Budapest is my favourite, but you may want to look at travel options on rome2.com to see how the transport links work.

Three days in Dubrovnik is a good length of time, including getting over any jet lag. It will take you c5.5 hours door to door to get to Split by bus or catamaran if you don't have a driver. Split itself is a full days exploring and nearby Trogir is a good half day.

At that time of year, Plitvice will be heaving and it's 2.5/3 hours from Split. It is best if you can stay the night before at the park so that you can get in when it opens or alternatively, visit the less busy but still stunning Krka national park.

You have a suitable time planned for Zagreb.

After this, your schedule becomes very rushed. I would opt for 2 of the cities you have listed. I would pick Budapest and Prague, but no doubt others will choose differently. I spent 5 days in Budapest last year and didn't run out of things to see.

I have always hired a car when I have been to Croatia as driving is easy, despite them driving on the "wrong" side of the road to me. A van in Europe is a commercial vehicle with no windows, so be careful what you ask for! You want a people carrier or a small minibus. Check that the vehicle can accommodate your luggage as many don't have much luggage space. As you are travelling between major cities, you really don't need a driver, as it is easily covered by good public transport and you have left it a bit late to get the best guides for this summer. There are walking tours in the cities that provide a great background that you could use instead.

Posted by
5382 posts

Why just larger cities (exception Plitvice)?

For me, this is too rushed, leaving you very little time in each location. By the time you get to your new hotel, check-in, etc. you are wasting huge amounts of precious vacation time, in my opinion. I'd cut out Zagreb, Vienna and Budapest; fly from Split to Prague (assuming you already have booked your tickets); add in time on some islands like Brac or Korcula or towns like Trogir or Sibenik; I'd also rent a minvan and drive myself.