Please sign in to post.

Croatia in June

Hi, we are thinking of taking a trip to Dubrovnik, Croatia very soon.Are there any suggestions for reasonably priced accommodations? Is it necessary to stay in a certain part of the city for close proximity to good restaurants, points of interest, and public transportation? Any suggestions for reasonably priced, adequately appointed accommodations would be welcome. Is public transportation reliable? Is it worth it to travel to Zagreb by train for a couple of days?
Thank you, Robert

Posted by
5687 posts

Hi Robert. There is no train between Dubrovnik and Zagreb. You can either take a bus...or fly, which is probably not that expensive. Renting a car is also an option. Driving in Croatia is pretty easy and usually affordable, though the cheapest rental cars are manual transmission in Europe. If you need to drive an automatic, you'll pay more.

I'd stay near or within Dubrovnik's old town. It is an old gated city with town walls. You can stay within the walls or right outside one of the town gates. It's easy to walk around without using public transportation at all in Dubrovnik (perhaps for getting to/from the airport), unless you want to get away from the old town.

I'd go to the Booking.com website and use the map feature to look for lodgings closer to the old city. FYI, there are few proper "hotels" in old town Dubrovnik - mostly you'll find apartments and "sobe" (B&Bs), which are the norm there. For reference the Hilton Imperial Hotel (not cheap) is right outside the Pile Gate. I stayed at a little soba across the street from there a few years back, but I think it is no longer there. But the location was great - a quick walk into the old town.

Posted by
3112 posts

I too stayed just outside the Pile Gate at Benussi Rooms. Small, nicely appointed, very quiet and run by a nice family. Just a short walk into the walled town. I thought it was a great location and I enjoyed my stay there.

Zagreb is quite some distance (over 500km) from Dubrovnik. If you go there, I would fly as driving or taking public transit would require too much of your limited time. There's so much to do and see close to Dubrovnik that I suggest staying in the south during your trip. If your flights to Croatia are through Zagreb, then a couple of days there before you fly home would make sense. It's a really nice city.

Public transportation (bus, catamaran, boat) to destinations near Dubrovnik is generally good, although I think some destinations (e.g. Montenegro) are more easily visited by day tour or by renting a car.

Posted by
6113 posts

Assuming you have to fly out of Dubrovnik, I would not spend a couple of days in Zagreb as it’s too far to back track. If you wanted a second base, I would look to Makarska or Korcula. There are no trains in Dubrovnik, so its bus or ferry/catamaran or car hire to get around.

Mid June onwards is local schools long summer holidays, so places will be busier and more booked up in the latter part of the month. If you are there for several days, consider staying in the quieter Cavtat area which has easy transport links to Dubrovnik.

Check the cruise ship arrival schedule for Dubrovnik and try to pick some “quieter” days.