Please sign in to post.

croatia in 2017

We are a family of five adults traveling through Croatia for 9 nights in May. Zagreb, Plitvice, Split, Hvar and Dubrovnic. Is it best to book apartments or hotels? How far in advance should I book and is it best to go through Booking.com? Thank you for any advice.

Posted by
16893 posts

Will you be driving? That would give you a lot of flexibility when finding accommodations. I'm sure that May won't have the same crowds as July and August. I suggest booking for Zagreb, Plitvice, and Dubrovnik, but leaving the middle destinations more flexible, in case you don't have time for it all. Five destinations in 9 nights is moving pretty quickly. Rick's Croatia & Slovenia guidebook includes his hotel recommendations and the reasoning behind them.

Posted by
27111 posts

Yes, I think this will be a rushed trip since you'll lose some time moving from place to place and checking out of and into hotels.

I used booking.com for my hotels in the Balkans, including Croatia, and it worked out fine. You can always try to find the hotel's own website after making a tentative selection, to see whether you can save a bit of money that way.

For Plitvice you should spend the night before you visit the park very nearby so you can get an early start and beat the day-trippers. The park can be grotesquely crowded. And if you have a choice, it wouldn't hurt to try for Monday-Thursday rather than Friday to Sunday.

In addition to a very attractive historic area (quite hilly), Zagreb has a very nice variety of museums, including a small but very interesting naïve art museum. Since you will have limited time there, I suggest doing some advance research on the museums to see whether any sound particularly interesting.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks for your replies. Yes we will be driving some of the time. I was thinking of renting a car as we leave Zagreb and returning it either in Split or Dubrovnik. We would have to park it during our two nights in Hvar if we keep it for the drive to Dubrovnik. Otherwise we would take a ferry from Hvar there. Not sure which we would be more cost effective as there are 5 of us. I wouldn't use the car once we arrive in Dubrovnik. Thanks again.

Posted by
6113 posts

Nine nights, not 14 for this itinerary means you will have to cut corners, as it is a rushed trip. If there were just two of you, you could be more flexible with, but with 5 of you, I would book ahead. May isn't the busiest time, but Dubrovnik needs booking in advance at any time of year & ditto Plitvice.

I would book as soon as you nail your itinerary - I have already booked accommodation for a holiday next March and are looking to book for June at present in Europe.

I prefer villas/apartments to hotels, particularly if you are looking for 3+ rooms. It will work out cheaper and you have a washing machine etc if needed and it means you can do some self-catering. Even in May, most decent places on Hvar will have a 3 night minimum booking period. You need a day for Split and another for Trogir - minimums. If you want to explore Hvar, a car is handy, as the bus service is sketchy. You pay for the car and per passenger on the car ferry. You can take the ferry from Sucuraj on Hvar to Drvenik en route to Dubrovnik to save going back to Split.

You don't need a car in Dubrovnik. You are going to have to order a large car to fit 5 adults plus luggage in a car.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks. Yes not long at each town. I prefer 3 nights, but not sure which town we would omit. We will have 3 nights in Munich too. I read on RS updates that one of the car ferries has been cancelled.

Posted by
21 posts

We are traveling to the same area in May! One thing I noticed in my research on the ferry is it seems that they operate M-Th to / from Dubrovnik. You can get in and out of Split on all days. Additionally, the service starts on May 4th.
I have a question on the car rental costs - does anyone have a better idea on the drop off fees especially if I were to pick one up in Split and drop it off in Ljubljana? I did ready that drivers will need special licensing to be able to drive in Croatia. International Driver's License ( can be picked up in advance of travel at AAA ). http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Posted by
334 posts

My wife and I traveled across Croatia in May 2015. Given you are five adults, a car between Zagreb and Split is your best option. This will allow you to visit Plitvice at your own pace and allow you the freedom to stop at other places (e.g. Rastoke). You can either return the car in Split or Dubrovnik. Only hold on to the car in Split if you intend to drive down the coast from Split to Dubrovnik (with Hvar being a day trip from Split). The catamarans are much faster and more frequent than the car ferries. In May, the catamarans won't be full so you will be able to buy tickets up until the time they leave. You'll actually have more freedom with the ferry than trying to bring your car with you.

As far as booking.com goes, my wife used that for the majority of our reservations and we didn't have any issues.

Posted by
31 posts

I am confused on the ferry schedules for early May. When you are looking at schedules which sites are you going to? Do you think we would not have a problem waiting to book reservations on the ferry until we arrive in Split? It appears there is only one ferry a day each way in early May. I'm now thinking I may park the rental car in Split for the two nights we're in Hvar. Is there overnight parking at the ferry? We would then return to Split and drive to Dubrovnik. I've read it is a beautiful drive down the coast. Thanks for anymore information.

Posted by
334 posts

For the catamaran service I was referring to: http://www.krilo.hr/en/sailing_schedule.html
Jadrolinija routes are here: http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/ (Click Sailing Schedule)

These are of course the schedules for 2016. There is no guarantee that the ferries will maintain the same schedule and routes next year. Also, the Jadrolinija routes typically expand in May, so depending on the exact dates of your trip, you may have additional options. Nevertheless, you will have no problem waiting to book the ferry until you are in Split. You have two options: take the car ferry from Split to Stari Grad (then drive about 25 minutes to Hvar town), or leave the car in Split and take a ferry/catamaran to Hvar town. Once you're in Split, you can go to the port and determine the schedule you like and whether you should leave the car in Split or take it with you.

One word of warning about the car ferries. Even if you bought a ticket for the car ferry, that does not guarantee that you'll be able to get your car on. They try to cram as many cars as possible on the ferry, but if there are several large trucks or busses, all the cars may not fit. While you don't need to arrive super early as in summer, you do want to arrive to the port early enough to ensure that your car makes it on.

Posted by
31 posts

Thank you so much. My plan now is to drop the car when we get to Split and then take the catamarans from there. I think the 2017 schedules should come out early in the year. I'm plan on booking apartments and am wondering if there is much difference between a 3 and 4 star rating. I am using the personal ratings as a guide, too. The Amoret apartments are recommended by RS and Fodor's, but they are not highly rated by people who have stayed there. Not sure who's opinions I should use.

Posted by
21 posts

Linda I just booked all my hotels for our trip - I looked between Hotels.com to get a good idea of what the rooms looked like, trip advisor, and suggestions from people who had been to the area. This is what we ended up going for:
Hotel Cubo in Ljubjana, Penzion Berc in Lake Bled, Casa Garzott in Rovinj, Plitvice Mirc in Lake Plitvice, Murum Boutique, in Split, Korcula Royal Apts in Korcula, Sunce Palace in Dubrovnik. Some I emailed directly, some I booked through hotels.com
These are some ideas that were suggested to me to look at and were great options too.
Their are tourist farms in Lake Bled area that looked great and B & B Kastel and Hotel Luxe http://www.hotelluxesplit.com/ were both suggested for Split. In Plitvice Lakes, the Villa Mukinja was a thought given to me that was more budget conscious.
Enjoy your time there, we are super excited for our visit!!

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks. I too have been looking at online booking sites. Booking.com mainly. I did check your bookings in the locations that we are going to, but unfortunately they are full. I will check back as it is early and sometimes there are cancellations. It is more difficult with five adults. I'm also checking your friends recommendations as that is always a bonus. Anyone with a recommendation in Marienplatz, Munich? We are flying through there from Chicago. Thanks

Posted by
5 posts

Some tips as insider (guide-driver):
1) Zagreb - Split via Plitvice lakes is doable in 1 day (circa 11 hrs). Rastoke village stop included. This saves one day in your itinerary, if you don't sleep at Plitvice.
2) In May (low season) Hvar island/town is recommended to visit as day trip from Split. Majority of restaurants, cafes, etc. are closed. Evenings are very quiet there in May.
3) I would keep the car in Split and do scenic drive from Split to Dubrovnik, via Ston Town (oyster capital of Croatia, good fish restaurants, Ston walls, Ston salt works) - circa 4 hrs total driving time.
4) Picking up rental car in Croatia and dropping off in another country (e.g. Slovenia) is pricey (circa 250-300 EUR drop off fee).
5) When I do Hvar Town day trip from Split, I do catamaran sail in the morning (7:40am, company Krilo), then return afternoon with car ferry from Stari Grad (5:30pm, company Jadrolinija). This way you have enough time to visit Hvar town, Paklenski islands (archipelago 30 minutes sail from Hvar), Stari Grad town (and Stari Grad Plain - UNESCO WH site).
6) My experience: Hotel Cubo (value for money), Casa Garzotto (value for money), Amoret Apartments and Sunce Palace in Dubrovnik (inside Old Town, quite pricey, but offer breakfast).
7) For 5 adults I would go with Mercedes Vito, VW Sharan or Renault Espace. Though majority of car rentals in Croatia have Opel Vivaro mini-van on stock (1+7). I like to rent it, because it's often cheapest vehicle for 1 + 4 people (driver + passengers).

Posted by
72 posts

As you are with the family I will suggest to book the accommodation in every town using Airbnb. Also you can use Hostelworld or simple google map and zoom the region. List of accommodation on this sites is fresh. Private accommodation is cheaper and if you are with the car you have flexibility to be even outside the town. Using Airbnb/private accommodation you have chance to ask the host many questions to make you easier later.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks. I have made all my reservations. Most are apartments.