Please sign in to post.

Croatia for Christmas 2020?

My adult daughter is currently living in Barcelona on a student visa that she will renew 10/31/20 so she is unsure if she will be allowed to travel home for her break while the renewal process is underway, which is tedious. We have discussed visiting her in Barcelona; but it is not looking likely that Spain will be lifting restrictions for US arrivals. Are we crazy thinking Croatia might be a place we could meet instead? Timely testing will be an issue but not insurmountable. What else should we be concerned about? Thank you for any advice!

Posted by
7049 posts

Is it possible that there may be restrictions on your daughter's movement that would prevent her from leaving and flying anywhere, not only to Croatia? I've only read about restrictions in Madrid, but everything is in flux and can change at any time. I would not count on anything as a given or going according to plan (including flight schedules which are being shed like crazy and are totally unpredictable, at least domestically). Croatia has been in the news recently for a lot of seeded infections to other countries in Europe (as well is in Croatia), which occurred in the summer and likely due to lax/ non existent masking mandates in the typical settings (bars, restaurants, night clubs, etc). I would be concerned about traveling anywhere where there is a moderate to high risk factor, and no one has a crystal ball on how things will look in December.

Posted by
569 posts

Read an article about lovers who are living in different countries meeting up in Croatia. Kind of reminded me of secret WW 2 negotiations in neutral capitals of Lisbon or Bern.

Posted by
17908 posts

Might change, might not. Follow the rules and be careful. You can purchase tickets at the last minute or you can purchase Cancel-For-Any-Reason trip insurance. With the right precautions, Go to a place like Woldometer and check out the numbers. Consider the risks relative to your risk tolerance. Take precautions to protect you and others .... I would do it. Very similar situation to the one I just visited. But dont do anything you wont enjoy because of fear or worry.

Posted by
10188 posts

You won't know who will be able to go where and what hoops you'll have to go through until the very last minute. Less likely, but still a possibility is getting stuck in your destination if there is a quick lockdown. That said, I'd keep my eye on mainland Portugal or Madeira Island and TAP for flights if at all available.

Posted by
17908 posts

Christi, looks like we are both going the same direction.... At about the same time (but i return a few days before Christmas) That is if you are still considering going....

If you are, then this may, or given your situation may not help;
I am flying into Istanbul. After a few days I have an early evening flight to Titograd. That gives me the opportunity to get the airport COVID test (takes up to 4 hours) before leaving for Titograd. Unfortunately there isnt direct service from Istanbul to Dubrovnik.

From Titograd its about 3 hour drive to Dubrovnik; much of it along the Bay of Kotor. I've made this trip before and its beautiful with a number of interesting places to stop. And I will actually spend a day and a half getting there. I have been told by travel agencies on both sides of the Croatia/Montenegro border that crossing with an old COVID test is not an issue but to be on the safe side, in the event new information comes up, there is a place in Titograd where I can get a test in a few hours. But doesn't look like I will need it.

My flight home, also out of Titograd, has a 2 hour lay over in Istanbul. To get back to Titograd there is a northern route through Montenegro that is pretty stunning (I love Montenegro) and I will spend a few days making that trip.

So three countries, 12 days..... A bit rushed, but its all the time I have and I will be back May to Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo and Greece (I hope), if borders are as they are now (Greece will need to open). Thats a 23 day trip.

Posted by
17908 posts

Or did I mean: Birziminijum or Alata or Ribnica? Actually, I just thought it would give the curious something to look up in these boring times. History is fascinating.

Posted by
6 posts

Sure, Croatia is a great idea! I mean it is pandemic, so who knows how the situation will turn out. But the current situation in Croatia is definitely better than in Spain. Christmas market won't be as big as usual but it will still be nice. If you are going to Zagreb, you should also visit Varaždin and/or Samobor (try kremšnite if you are there).