Please sign in to post.

Croatia and side trips for 8 days, March first week 2019.

Hi All

I need some itinerary help! I will be arriving in split on March 6 on the afternoon departing from Dubrovnik on March 13 , 2019 . I am staying in split till 8 th leaving split for Dubrovnik on 9 th in the morning..
It’s difficult to commute here because of non fast train and bus is slow in long distance. I have plans visit Hvar or trogir from split . I was planning doing Mostar on 9 th fro split and then going to Dubrovnik.I don’t know if that’s possible or worth it ? From Dubrovnik i plan to go to cavtat, another day for Kotor . But I have the problem of heights I have read that the drive to Montenegro is through the mountains with narrow road and hair raising turns , so I am not sure if I will do it ! What are other alternatives for day trip ? I am leaving next week so any quick answer is deeply appreciated!
Jazzartist

Posted by
971 posts

I dont know where you read that the road to Montenegro is narrow with hair raising turns? The road from Dubrovnik to Kotor is a coastal road and a main road to booth. It’s not narrow or with twisting turns. It does climb a bit outside Dubrovnik with some great views over the sea.

Posted by
4 posts

@Morten

Hey Morton thanks for your reply! I guess you have taken this road trip from Dubrovnik to Kotor right . I was reading different forums and I got confused! So I guess it’s pretty flat road which runs by the coast without steep drive through the mountains! In that case I feel encouraged to take the day trip to Montenegro!

Posted by
4326 posts

It is the road from Cetinje to Kotor that is winding, coastal road don't worry.
You could take the bus from Split to Mostar and then from Mostar to Dubrovnik.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for letting me know! Have you taken the road trip from Dubrovnik to Kotor ? How much time it takes by car ? So it’s mostly coastal
Road ?

Posted by
4326 posts

As far as I remember, it was not a road that would cause anyone problems, but it's been several years.
It takes about three hours, so it would not be high on my list of day trips.

Posted by
27063 posts

ViaMichelin.com will estimate the driving time for you, though people have said it's somewhat optimistic. It definitely doesn't allow for any stops, or getting lost, or looking for parking.

I took the bus from Kotor to Dubrovnik as well as an extra trip from Kotor to Herceg-Novi, so I was on part of the road around the Bay of Kotor more than once. I was focused on the spectacular scenery rather than the driving conditions, but it didn't seem frightening to me. I don't think anyone has ever said they had trouble with that road. But with a real fear of heights, I don't know. I bet you can find video of part of the drive on YouTube.

Posted by
1600 posts

Based on my research for my upcoming trip, and not firsthand experience, I don't think the coastal road from Dubrovnik around the Bay of Kotor is high or scary. We are planning on doing a day trip in late April from Dubrovnik to the Bay of Kotor. I plan on stopping in Kotor and Perast, so I think that with the driving, stopping to look at scenery and take photos, and stops in Kotor and Perast, it would be a full daytrip, not 3 hours..

I agree with the other poster that the mountainous curvy road you mention is NOT the coastal road along the Bay of Kotor. The road you mention goes through the mountains to Cetinje, as that poster mentioned.

Posted by
4 posts

I have decided to take the Dubrovnik to kotor drive after all the positive input by the wonderful folks ! As for itinerary any suggestions is welcome!