Please sign in to post.

Car rental

Hi,
Six of us traveling together are going to rent a car to go from Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes to Split then to Korcula. We will turn it in when we get to Dubrovnik. I know that generally in Europe small cars are better on the narrow roads, but it would be so nice to be in the same car together. This would require a large van for 6 people and luggage. Will this be okay in Croatia? Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by
6113 posts

Hiring a larger vehicle shouldn't be an issue, but they will be more limited in supply, so book well ahead. Don't try to book a van. In Europe, this means a commercial vehicle. You want a people carrier. Ensure that there is also sufficient room for all your luggage too, as many don't have much space. Most of these vehicles will be manual, not automatic.

There will be a one way drop fee.

Most of the roads in Croatia will be suitable for a 6 person vehicle.

Korcula isn't that easy to reach from Split with a car, as most services are catamarans, which you can't take cars onto. There are 2 ferries a day in peak season. You pay per vehicle and for every passenger too. A larger car will cost 972 kuna single plus 60 kuna per person. This is very expensive if you are going for only a few days.

I hope that your trip is for 2 weeks, otherwise, it's going to be very rushed.

Posted by
4326 posts

1) Knowing what month is vital to answering this question, but in general I feel the following.
If you were meandering off the beaten path for several days, then I'd say get the large vehicle, but this is such an easy route by public transport. You can all six fit on the bus from Zagreb to Plitvice, then from Plitvice to Split. Then you have many more options for getting to Korcula by catamaran. Then you can take a catamaran or bus from Korcula to Dubrovnik. No need to try to stuff all that luggage in either.
By all means price it out, and make sure you have parking everywhere you are staying, but if you are just getting from place to place, it really is so simple to do so by public transport.
The roads are fine, but I certainly would not want to park such a vehicle.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you. I think we may rent 2 smaller cars for Zagreb to Plitvive to Split and then turn the cars in. We may rent scooters or a one day car on Korcula island so we can explore. I am finding that the ferry from Korcula to Dubrovnik doesn't run on September 22. So we may need to take the ferry to Oerbic and then bus to Dubrovnik. Any comments on our new plans are welcome.

Posted by
4326 posts

Thank you. I think we may rent 2 smaller cars for Zagreb to Plitvive to Split and then turn the cars in.
That makes sense.

We may rent scooters or a one day car on Korcula island so we can explore.
Ditto.

I am finding that the ferry from Korcula to Dubrovnik doesn't run on September 22. So we may need to take the ferry to Oerbic and then bus to Dubrovnik. Any comments on our new plans are welcome.
There is never a ferry car between those two, but there is a daily morning bus from Korcula (the bus take the short ferry between Korcula and Orebic). Also check catamarans:
http://www.krilo.hr/images/Sailing_schedule_DUBROVNIK.pdf