Please sign in to post.

Advice re day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

We would like to take a full-day, organized day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik.
Ideally the size of the group would not be too large.
I see many different companies online which offer different options and would welcome some advice about what's important to include.
I know we want to include Mostar and the bridge. Is there a specific way that's best to see the bridge or are there other specific things in Mostar we should make sure are included?
What about Počitelj?
Or the Kravica Waterfalls?
Or the monastery in Blagaj?
Thanks very much for your feedback on the above as well as any recommendations regarding tour companies.

Posted by
286 posts

Mostar is well worth a visit but honestly, it’s not London (or even Dubrovnik), meaning that there isn’t a wide variety of things to see there. It’s basically the famous bridge and surrounding area on both sides of the river, which is a picturesque neighborhood of old Turkish buildings with lots of tourist shops and restaurants. I don’t have a particular tour to recommend but I can’t imagine any that won’t give you adequate time to walk across the bridge, see the bridge from nearby viewpoints (including the short stroll down to the riverbank to look up at it), do some shopping if you want, and probably have lunch in one of the many similar restaurants (some of which have nice views from their terraces) featuring Bosnian kebabs and other grilled food, whether that is included as part of your tour or on your own. That’s pretty much it for Mostar. The other places you mention I haven’t seen (or indeed even heard of).

Posted by
912 posts

We engaged the services of Petar Vlasic for our day trip to Mostar for just the two of us, and it was terrific! During the drive, He explained much of the history of the area. Once in Mostar, he had arranged for a local guide of the area, and he too, was great. (all of this was included in Petar's fee) I highly recommend his services, as he is one of the very best guides we have ever encountered on all of our travels.

Posted by
2671 posts

We used Petar Vlasic as well - and, yes, that is his website. You’ll have a great time with him!

Posted by
4580 posts

I have been on my own with a car for an overnight once and then stayed for 3 nights a year ago. Mostar is fascinating if you have some background and just pretty if you don’t. So some sort of guide to explain more to you will make all the difference. More so than many other cities, unless you do your own reading.

The monastery in Blagaj is well worth a stop. Kravica Waterfalls is very pretty but will pale if you are going to either Plitvice or Krka, so I wouldn’t worry about prioritizing it.

Posted by
298 posts

We just returned from Bosnia and honestly really didn't love Mostar, but that was after spending 4 days in Sarajevo which we were OBSESSED with. Mostar just felt overly touristy and almost Disney-esque in comparison. That being said, it is very pretty to look at, but I don't think you need a lot of time there. Get some Bosnian coffee, cevapi, look at the bridge and call it a day.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much. All these different perspectives are so appreciated.

Unfortunately, Petar Vlasic is booked already. Does anyone recommend someone else they have used?

Posted by
419 posts

Just an FYI, I spent two nights in Mostar last October and dearly wished I'd spend three nights there. So much fun and so interesting. The bridge is more of a shuffle than a walk as it is always full of people, so I don't think there is a best way to see expect from the lower bridge or a patio and absolutely not in the middle of the day on a "tour". Enjoy your trip I'm sure you will enjoy yourself J