Hi all! My wife and I are headed to Croatia (+ a bit of Slovenia) from August 23rd through September 8. This forum has been amazingly helpful and we'd love some advice on our itinerary.
For some context about us:
- We're in our early 30s with no kids
- Much of our travel revolves around food and wine
- Don't typically do beach-y vacations, but am excited to take advantage of the coast on this trip
- Travel style is more fast than slow
- DON'T drive (native New Yorkers)
- Enjoy hiking
Here is our rough itinerary. We fly into Dubrovnik and fly out of Ljubljana:
- Day 1: Get into Dubrovnik
- Day 2: Explore Dubrovnik
- Day 3: Explore Dubrovnik
- Day 4: Day trip to Mostar or Kotor
- Day 5: Dubrovnik → Hvar
- Day 6: Hvar
- Day 7: Hvar → Split
- Day 8: Explore Split
- Day 9: Split → Plitvice
- Day 10: Plitvice → Zagreb
- Day 11: Zagreb → Rovinj
- Day 12: Rovinj
- Day 13: Rovinj
- Day 14: Rovinj → Ljubljana
- Day 14: Ljubljana
- Day 15: Lake Bled
- Day 16: Fly out of Ljubljana
We'd love some feedback on a couple of things:
- Given that we don't drive and won't have a car, does it make sense to do Istria on this trip? I've read that Rovinj is beautiful and charming, but to explore Istria, you need a car. Given that, is it too far out of the way?
- If we cut out Rovinj, what would be your top choice to fill that time? Spend a few days in Brac/Bol, more time in Plitvice, head to Slovenia earlier and hit the Julian alps?
- We have ~2.5 days in Hvar – are we missing out on not staying longer?
- How much time would be the minimum you'd spend at Plitvice NP?
- Is it worth staying overnight in Trogir, or would a day trip suffice?
Overall itinerary feedback is also more than welcome!
Thank you so much in advance!