Please sign in to post.

Adriatic Tour

I'm on the Adriatic tour in October. The obvious itinerary (for me) is Denver to Ljubljana / Dubrovnik to Denver. Any suggestions on other routes? A friend flew into Vienna and took the train to Ljubljana but that's about five hours. I'm primarily interested in ease of travel not additional sites to visit.
Thank you

Posted by
4377 posts

You don't have any options without tradeoffs in time--if you can afford to go into LJU and out of DBV with only one layover, take it. I always check everything just in case, though, and airports within reasonable reach would include Zagreb, Split.

Posted by
1546 posts

We've booked the exact suggestion Liz gives above for our June Adriatic tour.

Posted by
8375 posts

I flew into Ljubljana through Munich. I took the Go-Opti shuttle from the Ljubljana airport to the hotel and they dropped me off directly at the hotel. Very convenient.

On the way home I flew Dubrovnik to Rome and then on from there.

Posted by
229 posts

We are taking this tour in May and are flying into Munich. After a day to get over jet lag, taking train to Salzburg, three nights, then to Ljubljana. Should be a scenic and relaxing ride. If you are not interested in additional sites, just take train from Munich to Ljubljana. Much easier and cheaper to fly to Munich than Ljubljana. Following the tour we fly direct to Frankfurt then on to USA.

Posted by
2252 posts

Hi, jbare47. My family and I will leave from DIA on Lufthansa to Munich and transferring there for a flight to Ljubljana. We return from Dubrovnik through Frankfurt then onward to Denver. I have flown this before and it was easy at the time-pre Covid. We will be staying extra days both at the beginning and end of the tour, which is the end of May. I think you are going to really enjoy this tour! I know this as I have already taken it (few years ago) and it’s one of my favorites; a wonderful mix of history (WWI-the Bosnian War-present day), glorious natural beauty, great food and wine! I’m really looking forward to a repeat!

Posted by
8375 posts

It did not cost me any more to fly to Ljubljana than to Munich. Be sure to check all the options before deciding. This could also be impacted by the departure city I suppose.

Posted by
2252 posts

I should have said we are connecting (rather than the misleading “transferring”) for our flights from Denver to Munich to Ljubljana and then for return from Dubrovnik to Frankfurt to Denver. All on one booking. I know there are various other ways to make this trip from Denver but this was easiest for us with only one connecting flight each way.

Posted by
1546 posts

I forgot to mention our return travel. We are flying to Zagreb the morning the tour ends, and will stay one night before flying home. This decision was partly driven by a non-stop flight option from Zagreb to Toronto on that day.