Please sign in to post.

Plitvice

We are interested in visiting Plitvice. It would be a LONG day - 3 hour bus there, 4-5 hour tour, 3 hour bus back. Pricey too. So, before I commit, recommendations? suggestions? thoughts? Thank you.

Posted by
5687 posts

You can take the bus yourself between Zagreb and Plitvice for as cheap as about $30 USD round-trip. Park entry is about $20 USD in shoulder season, $25 USD in summer, and cheaper off-season. So it might be $60 per person. It's easy to see the gist of the park yourself without a guided tour in about 5 hours.

Posted by
5687 posts

Plitvice is an amazing park, definitely a highlight of my trip to Croatia.

Posted by
233 posts

Plitvice was also the highlight of my trip to Croatia in 2006 and has been the highlight of all of my trips to Europe, maybe the highlight of any trip I've ever taken anywhere. What a magical place! I did it "on my own," arriving by bus from Split and leaving by bus to Zagreb, staying overnight in the park. It was a long time ago, but it cost $18 (100 kn) to get in then (two-day ticket)--just checked the website, and now looks like it's up to 280 kn ($50) for the same two-day ticket. I explored the lower lakes during the afternoon I arrived and explored the upper lakes the next morning. It reminded me of a classic American national park plopped in the middle of Croatia :) I hope you get a chance to go!

Posted by
503 posts

GO! It is one of the most amazing places I've ever visited. The day may be a long one, but it is so worth it.

Posted by
44 posts

If possible spend the night!! You will not regret it. We got there later in the afternoon with basically no crowds. Spent the night at Hotel Jezro (food and service so-so but not expensive). Got up the next morning before the crowds started (tickets good for the next day if you're staying in one of the hotels). Once the crowds start it is not nearly enjoyable. See the upper lakes first.

Posted by
7 posts

Heard Plitvice is too beautiful to pass up - we only have one day to visit, We would like to take a day trip to Plitvice on September 4th - any recommendation on a bus tour leaving from Split?
thank you!

Posted by
31 posts

It is BEAUTIFUL and was a highlight of our trip. My advice is to spend the night and get up early to visit first thing in the morning, before all the tour buses arrive. Otherwise you are walking along with thousands of other people and I think some of the magic would be missing.

Posted by
16893 posts

See www.prijevoz-knezevik.hr for the slightly faster "Express" bus that run Zagreb-Plitvice-Split a couple of times per day through September. Other bus companies also run several departures per day, mentioned in the Plitvice chapter of Rick's Croatia & Slovenia 2014.