Please sign in to post.

trip insurance

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times but I'm just not sure where to look sooo, could anyone tell me a good trip insurance plan for a self planned trip(flight and hotels). I'd rather have advice from knowledgeable travelers than try and dig my way through web sites. Thanks in advance!!

Posted by
311 posts

and I see I didn't read down the list far enough! I see a thread for travel insurance.! Seek and ye shall find!

Posted by
5202 posts

Chriss,
As you may have already found out, there are various types of trip insurance, and you'll need to do some research to figure out which one covers all your needs.

I've been satisfied with Allianz Travel Insurance. There are various plans and you can compare on their website.
You may also call with any questions; the representatives are always very helpful and knowledgeable.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
991 posts

I use Travelguard for most of my European trips. I usually purchase the GOLD as it fits my needs and price range. I made claims twice last year. One for lost luggage and twice for delays and trip interruption. It was easy to claim and I had a check within 10 days. Now I will tell you, I had all my receipts, boarding passes, hotel receipts, any printed material from the airline regarding the cancellations/delays, luggage tags and all the receipts for the clothing I had to purchase because my luggage never made it for the entire trip! They also helped with phone calls to try to find my luggage. I was quite pleased with how the insurance company handled it all.

Margaret

Posted by
2702 posts

Compare all plans on insuremytrip.com. Terms, coverage, prices, reviews of customer service, AM Best rating, etc. Be sure and look at pre-existing conditions. Most policies require purchase within 10 days of your first payment towards your trip in order to cover you for an existing illness.

Posted by
12 posts

In 2015, we planned an independent trip to England and France. I bought Travelex insurance. When we had to cancel our entire trip due to my husband's health, I was able to get reimbursed for everything. I sent in copies of all the receipts, a doctor's note (I think it was on their form), and had no hassles what-so-ever. I am now a Travelex fan.

Posted by
34 posts

I've used Travelguard a couple times before. Due to missed connections on a flight to Costa Rica, Travelguard found me a hotel in Atlanta for the night, then arranged for a taxi to bring me from the airport in San Jose into the mountains to join my tour group. Just having their "concierge" service was worth it. THEY did all the monkeying around.

Posted by
1 posts

I always buy travel insurance through USAA and pay the little extra to make it my primary medical. It is quite a bit less expensive than other plans I have seen. Oh, and they give you 30 days after initial deposit for pre existing conditions.

Posted by
2702 posts

USAA membership is restricted to military veterans, children whose parents have had USAA membership. Their insurance is only available to members.

Posted by
476 posts

I have used World Nomads several times. They seem to have all the coverage that other companies have, but is usually cheaper. However, they do not cover pre-existing conditions or people over 70 years old.

Insuremytrip.com is a great place to compare policies. World Nomads will not show up there, however.