Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Good Afternoon!

Wemade the first payment on our trip to Europe on November 2017 (week cruise out of Italy) and we are paying it by payments. We payed the airline Feb 12 2017.. We still have to pay hotels, trains, air between cities. The trip is for approximately 24 days.
I wanted to insure the trip is there any company that will do it now? Trip is still 6 months away but some companies say 21 days from first payment :(

Posted by
2707 posts

You may find you are beyond the period where pre-existing conditions are covered. Compare the policy’s on insuremytrip.com. You will find most cover pre-existing conditioned only if the policy is obtained within 10-14 days of your first payment. Still, you can get all other coverage and you should.

Posted by
933 posts

If you have access to USAA - they really are the best coverage with the best price. If not, AAA also has a good policy. Just be sure you are comparing apples to apples = Medical Evacuation, Flight delays, Lost luggage, injury, illness, death in the family (find out 'who' is included in definition of family). If you don't have USAA or AAA, insuremytrip.com is great - our favorite companies are Allianz & Travel Guard. AAA uses Allianz, but you can also get it on insuremytrip.

Posted by
168 posts

We have AAA and will give them a call in the morning! TY I though I was too late to get insurance!

Posted by
16 posts

Check out Generali Global Assistance. We used themp for out trip. There are a variety of options.

Posted by
168 posts

Thank you everyone I was able to purchase through Travel Guard with NO issues.!

Posted by
10219 posts

David, thank you for pointing out that having good insurance at home doesn't necessarily matter when traveling internationally. Over the years I've seen plenty of people who claim they have no need for travel insurance because they are healthy, have health insurance at home, etc. Those things may be true, but stuff happens. You can fall ill as David did. You could get hit by a car crossing the street. You could fall and be seriously injured. My point is that no one expects things to happen, but they do. It's possible to only cover yourself for medical coverage and evacuation if you don't want to spend money on insuring flights, baggage and whatnot. I have usually used insuremytrip.com, but I have also used Foursquare. They both work the same way, comparing plans and choosing the one that meets your needs.

Posted by
5697 posts

If you have a premium credit card AND you use it to pay your travel expenses, you may have some coverage through the card -- check it out before you rely on it.

Posted by
2707 posts

David’s post is one that should be read and re-read by anyone who is waffling when It comes to travel insurance. Keep in mind you buy it hoping to never have to use it. Yes, if you don’t insure and have to cancel you’ll lose non-refundable payments but that is peanuts compared to the cost of a serious illness, medical evacuation. David dodged a bullet and was able to return home flying commercial. A true medical evacuation is a catastrophic cost, so don’t risk it. On my RS tours I’ve encountered folks who don’t insure. Some think Medicare will cover them (it does not) some think they have coverage through a credit card, but really never looked at the details. But, the ones who really amaze me are those who say they don’t buy insurance as they’ve been healthy all their lives. Well, we’re all healthy until we get sick, duh.

Posted by
8373 posts

Another vote for being clear on what your credit card does or does not cover. Some of the premium cards do offer good trip insurance. That is part of the reason they have the higher annual fees.

Posted by
1188 posts

If you already have the premium credit card with the travel medical insurance, you should take advantage. Just read the fine print in your credit card policy. Most only cover up to 15 days. Then all you need is to buy some top up coverage to cover the remaining days of the trip.

Also check out your home or work medical insurance. You may also have travel medical coverage from those sources. It is very easy to overbuy travel insurance (medical and especially car rental).