Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

What is the best travel insurance to buy?

Posted by
8 posts

I personally like using the trip insurance store to compare prices of companies that provide reasonable service.

The best insurance to buy in the one that fits your needs. Take into account your health insurance and what you can afford to lose if you cancel/can't go on your trip.

Posted by
933 posts

Search this on the search bar- it’s brought up at least once a week. You’ll learn tons

We love USAA

If you’re a AAA member- they have good policies through Allianz

Travel insured and Allianz are always recommended

Posted by
899 posts

Let me add to the suggestions--Costco which provides travel insurance through Zurich Insurance. We just purchased their insurance for two (we're in our 70s) for $350 total for both of us. Most important to us are the medical benefits.
Trip Cancellation 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of Trip Cost
Travel Delay $2,000 ($500/day)
Missed Connection $2000
Baggage & Personal Effects $3000
Baggage Delay $200
Emergency Medical Expense $200,000
Emergency Dental Expense $1000
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation $1,000,000
Common Carrier AD&D $50,000
Travel Assistance Services Included
Optional Rental Car Damage None
Cancel for Any Reason Upgrade None

Posted by
1 posts

It looks to me like Costco travel insurance is only available for travel booked through Costco, so not really helpful for Rick Steves' tours. The website states, "Travel Insurance is available to add to any Costco Travel reservation through Zurich up until 10 days prior to departure."

Posted by
899 posts

You are correct. ColoCurly. Zurich had sent the incorrect coverage. I have included the coverage that we did receive as Costco members. It is the best coverage at the best cost to us. There are many here who do not travel with Rick Steves and travel either with other travel companies or independently, as do we. The new charge for both of us is $650. We increased the coverage from my comment above by 30%, also.

Trip Cancellation 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of Trip Cost
Travel Delay $2,000 ($500/day)
Missed Connection – Air & Cruise $1,500
Baggage & Personal Effects $3,000
Baggage Delay $200
Emergency Medical Expense $200,000
Emergency Dental Expense $1,000
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation $500,000
Common Carrier AD&D $50,000
Travel Assistance Services Included
Optional Rental Vehicle Damage None

Posted by
1189 posts

I suggest that people check to see if they have travel medical included as part of their employment benefits. Also travel medical is often included with certain credit cards. If you figure out what you already have, all you have to do is buy supplemental insurance to cover any shortfalls.