Please sign in to post.

Travel advice?

I have always used Mr. Steves and VirtualTourist.com for my guidance. But now that VirtualTourist.com has left us, any suitable replacements that you know of. Rick is still my Guru but I like 2-3 options to scout my exploration.
TYIA
Gary-Lee

Posted by
3207 posts

Except for Italy, I'm a Lonely Planet guide person. Rough guides are also informative. Rick is good for specific logistics, but you might see a lot more if you use other sources.

Posted by
8440 posts

Agree with Wray that Lonely Planet is a good source. I infer you're looking for online guidance, not guidebooks?

Posted by
489 posts

I think it depends on where you are going. we just got back from Romania and found Rough Guides a good source. I myself, look at tripadvisor and go to the web sites of cities you may visit. I found Iberia area (in Croatia) had a most awesome app for your phone. I have found some great stuff in looking a youtube videos for travel information/documentaries. But Be selective!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you.
I liked the good and bad experience section on VT, because the forums generally provide guidance on local concerns to avoid, tips on things not to miss etc. Sometimes these are more current than in a book. I do also utilize Lonely Planet. and DK Eyewitness.

Posted by
3245 posts

I like to use the RS guides for basic information and logistical advice about the most popular attractions in the cities his books cover. Lonely Planet guides for more extensive information minus logistical advice. Then National Geographic Explorer books for the photos and "high level" ideas. I still buy "Let's Go Europe" for a completely different perspective.

rome2rio.com is my choice for plotting out itineraries.

Posted by
787 posts

I use pretty much every resource I can think of that offers specific info. For less well-known locations for U.S. visitors, I have found the Bradt guides to be useful. I start my planning on getting many books from my local library (and sometimes DVDs), and using youtube as well. For more detail on what to see and what routes to take, Michelin green guides and then the Blue Guide have great info. Online, for less well-known locations, I'll use tripadvisor, particularly because actual local people often post and answer questions there. Also online, Fodor's forums. And Rick

Posted by
15582 posts

For guidebooks, I like RS for the clear guidance for newbies to a city and the self-guided city and sight tours. I like Eyewitness to get a feel for what there is to see in a place and in the in-depth city guides, the suggested itineraries and neighborhood walking tours. I just bought my first Lonely Planet guide (Vietnam) and am really liking it.

I augment the books with online resources. Frommer's for sights - they are usually more comprehensive than any others and the ratings are a good yardstick. I've used their self-guided walking tours in the past, but they don't have publication dates and some of them seem to be years out of date. All their articles have a disclaimer that the info was accurate when published, but there is no publication date. TripAdvisor destination forums for details and nitpicky and/or up-to-date info. TA also for hotel reviews to check out places that I find on other websites.

Posted by
315 posts
  1. RS for logistics. Transportation options. General Map of a City. Maybe Lodging options. Site/Museum options. Walking Tours.
  2. Lonely Planet for options beyond Europe. Seems to provide a younger perspective and potential cost saving ideas.
  3. DK and National Geographic for dreaming. DK does have some good colorful maps.
  4. Bicycle races in Europe. We have cycled off the beaten path roads from the routes in France, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland.
  5. Cruise ports. Tour operators options.
  6. Blogs written by people in the community I am planning to visit.
  7. Rome2rio.