Please sign in to post.

ATM's at FCO

We are flying into FCO in June and in my research for this trip, I read that bank ATM's have pretty much been removed from FCO. It seems that it is pretty much Travelex or comparable company. Has anyone been recently that can confirm this is accurate info?

Thanks!
Rachel

Posted by
7453 posts

I can not specifically confirm that, but generally, yes, ATM at airports are being contracted to larger entities, rather than local banks.

It is not a great concern though, you can still get cash at normal rates in my experience. DCC can be declined and still continue with the transaction, Fees cannot be declined, if there are more than one type of ATM, you could decline and go to the next, or just buck up and pay a few euro to get your cash.

Posted by
23178 posts

This is the perfect example for why we always arrive with a hundred euro in pocket. This has been a trend through out European airports as private exchange company pay a premium to handle all of the ATMs in the airport. Instead of wondering about accuracy just bring a hundred euro and not worry about it.

Posted by
58 posts

I have never exchanged currency before our trip, but reading about the change in ATM's has made me rethink that. We will need some for our transportation to our hotel, so no time to look for a bank ATM around our hotel area. I will probably exchange some ahead of time. I knew people here could give me some pretty firsthand accounts.

Thanks!
Rachel

Posted by
15 posts

I was in Rome Fiumicino airport a couple of weeks ago, can confirm there are some ATM's (I used one myself although cannot recall specifically which one), there is also a post office and currency exchange desks in terminal 1

Posted by
50 posts

We were at FCO about 3 weeks ago. There were plenty of ATMs. First one I passed had 2 people in line, so I walked past it. Next one was out of service. Walked a little more and used the 3rd ATM that I passed on my walk from the arrival gate to security.

Posted by
7453 posts

If you can get some ahead from your bank easily, or even go to Wells Fargo if you do not bank there for example, then do so for peace of mind, not to save money. It does cost you, figure 5-8% between the rate they charge plus any fees if they charge any. That is more than an ATM there, even with a fee of a few euros, and about the same as a cash advance on a credit card for $200, but less than exchanging cash at an exchange window at the airport.

If you have traveled and used an ATM before, so have a card you know works, plus maybe have a back-up ATM card, then I usually do not worry about having cash ahead (well, I usually have some from the last trip), but as I said, maybe worth the peace of mind.

Posted by
3150 posts

There are many non-bank ATM’s at FCO and they have lousy exchange rates. Last time there I could not find any bank owned ones in Terminal 3 but found 2 in Terminal 1.

If you can’t find one, bite the bullet and withdraw as small amount of cash with which you feel comfortable until you settle in at your destination and locate a Bankomat near you. Just google it and they’ll pop up on a map. Don’t waste your time or stress yourself out at the airport. It’s not worth a few bucks.

BlockquoteATMs / Cash Machines Unicredit ATM

Departure area, Terminal T1 Hours: 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
Ufficcio Postale / Bancoposta branch and ATM (Post amat)

Arrival zone, T1 Hours: Mon-Fri, from 8.30 am to 3.30 pm Tel: +39 06
6501 2256 Services: cash withdrawal / deposit, money transfers, postal
services Unicredit Banca – Fiumicino Branch and ATM

Departure area, Terminal of Domestic flights T1 Tel: 06 87828304, 06
87828302, 06 87828303, 06 87828301 Banks Ufficcio Postale / Bancoposta
branch and ATM (Post amat)

Arrival zone, T1 Hours: Mon-Fri, from 8.30 am to 3.30 pm Tel: +39 06
6501 2256 Services: cash withdrawal / deposit, money transfers, postal
services Unicredit Banca – Fiumicino Branch and ATM

Departure area, Terminal of Domestic flights T1 Tel: 06 87828304, 06
87828302, 06 87828303, 06 87828301

Posted by
3514 posts

Has anyone actually used the non-bank ATMs at FCO since the bank ATMs disappeared???

When the Travelex ATMs took over Heathrow, I panicked having accidentally almost used on of them in the past and it was an extension of the exchange booth and not actually an ATM (yes it dispensed money, but used the exceptionally bad rate that the exchange booth offered). The Travelex ATMs in Heathrow are just like bank owned ATMs and as long as you bypass the DCC offer to be billed in US$ uses the exact same bank rate for exchange that a bank ATM would use and there is no fee charged by the ATM of any kind.

I have not actually used one yet, but I believe the ATMs in FCO are similar to those in Heathrow and as long as you can bypass the DCC offer, you will not be overcharged. If someone has actual proof one way or the other, it would be nice of them to post it here.

Oh, and Wells Fargo will not sell you foreign currency unless you have an account with them. At least in my part of the world that is how they go.

Posted by
58 posts

Thank you for this info! It has all been helpful.

It's not that I'm adverse to paying fees for some convenience, I just try to minimize it. I was concerned that the Travelex ATM's would have the same pathetic exchange that the currency exchange booths have. We have an ALLY card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions and reimburses the ATM fees so I try to take advantage of that.

Posted by
352 posts

If you are a member of a credit union or have a friend or family member who is a member, credit unions can often order the Euros at no transaction cost. I prefer to have Euros with me so I can wait until the time and place of my choosing to get more. In addition in the unlikely event I have Euros left over the credit union will take them back and give me in USD whatever the exchange rate is is at the time.

Posted by
7453 posts

*It's not that I'm adverse to paying fees for some convenience, I just try to minimize it. I was concerned that the Travelex ATM's would have the same pathetic exchange that the currency exchange booths have. *

When Travelex does take over the ATM concession (or even if it is one of their ATMs) you are not necessarily charged a conversion fee. As Mark indicated above, and the same for my experience, you will be asked about how you want to proceed with the transaction, usually something like "Would you like to do the transactions in Dollars or Euros?" or Local or Home Currency?" always choose Euros (if applicable) or Local Currency, and the transaction goes through as a normal ATM transaction at network rates.

If you choose otherwise, then they will "quote" an offer, tell you how much in Dollars the transaction will be for X euros. That indicates they are doing the conversion, typically called DCC, and at their rate, decline and go elsewhere. An ATM does not know what the transaction will cost in your home currency, only that it is dishing out 200 euro.
I get Pounds Sterling from Travelex ATMs at Heathrow when through there at the same rate as anywhere in the UK, Same with Euros in Spain and other places with high numbers of DCC ATM's