Please sign in to post.

$200. difference in same flights, need advise from someone who know Newark.

Hello all,
I don't fly very often, and this is only my 2nd trip abroad, and so many of you may know this, but I was astounded: In looking at fights with United from Cincinnati to Rome, round trip it was $198.00 cheaper to buy four tickets than buying two: If I bought a round trip ticket Cincinnati-Newark, and a separate round trip ticket Newark to Rome it was $198. cheaper, than buying round trip Cincinnati-Rome. I called the airline and she did warn me that if I checked luggage, I would have go out of the security area, collect my luggage,, then go back through security. With a 3 hour layover going and coming is it doable in Newark?

Posted by
20085 posts

Maybe, but more important, I think, is you will not be protected if any of the flights are delayed and you miss the connection. If that happens, United could say, "too bad, so sad, buy a new ticket".

Posted by
2906 posts

I wouldn’t chance it. Newark is a busy airport. 3 hours sounds like a lot of time, but one delay throws everything out the window,

Posted by
279 posts

It sounds like you are buying tickets for two people, so you would be saving $100/person if nothing goes wrong. You need look at it in terms of spending $100/person for insurance to make sure your flight goes smoothly.

Don’t try to save money in this manner!

Posted by
23267 posts

It is a sucker play. If something happens to your first flight --- probability may be low but things happen. What you are really saying that you gambling $198 against the price to a new ticket to Rome or a new ticket to Cincinnati. Not a good payout.

Posted by
104 posts

I didn't think of the flight-connection- airline guarantee. Thanks everyone for your advise. It's definitely worth $200. for peace of mind that the airline would make connections should something happen to delay the flights. That's why I asked the smart people. Thanks!

Posted by
3695 posts

You have made the right decision. I fly into and out of Newark at least three trips per year and it is, IMO, the worst major airport in the United States. Odds of your flight into Newark being very late are extremely high. I fly on United frequently because SFO is their hub and between United and Newark, doing what you proposed to save $200 would have been a mistake. You have beyond a doubt done the right thing. I have done unprotected connections through Newark but I do the red-eye from California the night before so I have 8 or 9 hours to get my ongoing flight. At one point in 2018, The Bureau of Transportation Statistics reported 22.9% of flights departing from Newark and 29.6% of arrivals had been delayed in 2018. And that was an improvement over 2017.

Posted by
613 posts

Check something like Kayak or cheapo air to compare prices. I arbitrariily picked some dates in August, and there is an option that is more than $500 cheaper than United. Then veryfiy onnet ail/ines web site.

Posted by
92 posts

totally doable at newark. check the stats for the flights in question to see if there's a likelihood of delay, and then ask yourself if you are willing to risk it.

also, despite what other posters say, i have missed flights on unconnected flights in the past and airlines have gone out of their way to reroute me. my little sister totally missed a flight out of bangkok a few years ago because she overslept and the airline kindly put her on the flight the next day. they don't have to, but in practice they often do.

Posted by
104 posts

Hello everyone, please keep the advise coming!
Thank you everyone for your kind advise. I've checked all the on-line travel agencies, against United site, plus I'll get a discount with their charge card. It's a direct flight to Rome or Naples. I could go cheaper but with crazy hours of layovers in connecting cities. I'm willing to lay out the money for a direct flight. Thank you for the information about Newark being a tough airport. Maybe I'll try JFK with which I'm more familiar. Atlanta and Chicago has a nonstop depart, but not a nonstop return. Is there a way to get notified if United prices drop? I'm going late Oct or early Nov.

Posted by
104 posts

Hello mom2bande,
Where do i go to check dependability of flights?
Thanks,
Elaine