Please sign in to post.

Sarajevo to Venice June 2017

I am finishing up a 3 week Slovenia/Croatia/Bosnia vacation. I am leaving Sarajevo June 10 and flying out of Venice early June 13. I had planned on going up to Rovinj on June 10, but somehow misread the bus table, and it is much further than I thought.
We are already going to Bled, Plivtice, Split, Dubrovnik, Budva, and Mostar. I really had wanted to see the Istrian Peninsula, but a 12 hour bus ride at 1 time is too much.
Any thoughts on breaking up the trip form Sarajevo to Venice? I don't want to rent a car, so travel is by bus/train only.

Posted by
470 posts

If I'm not mistaken, the easiest way to get from Sarajevo to Venice by public transport is via Zagreb and Ljubljana. An idea would be to get to Ljubljana, which is a lovely city and then take a bus to Piran in the Slovenian part of Istria. From Piran you could then book a shuttle transfer to Venice Airport. Getting from Sarajevo to Ljubljana involves an 8-hour bus from Sarajevo to Zagreb and then a 2-hour bus or train to Ljubljana. You could also fly Sarajevo to Ljubljana directly with Adria, you can get tickets for €100.

EDIT: Just noticed that Croatia flies between Sarajevo and Zagreb, too. Flights on that route are somewhat more expensive at €150. From Zagreb you could take a bus to Rovinj and then again a shuttle transfer to Venice Airport.