Please sign in to post.

Local restaurants in Sarajevo

I would appreciate suggestions for restaurants owned by locals where locals dine. Nothing fancy just good food in pleasant surroundings.

Posted by
135 posts

Please let me rephrase that. I am looking for restaurants owned by locals where locals dine.

Posted by
1743 posts

I had a very good meal in a really nice setting at Inat Kuća. And there's a fun story associated with the restaurant too. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sarajevo-spite-house)

For a more casual lunch, Buregdžinica Sač served the most amazing burek. It's at Mali Bravadziluk 2, right in the Baščaršija neighborhood.

Posted by
135 posts

Great story for your first suggestion. Thank you so much for that. I will certainly check both places out.

Posted by
207 posts

I recommend wandering into the neighborhoods south of the river for this purpose. I think you could easily find what you like in the north, too, but on the south side of the river it's all just ordinary neighborhoods full of local folks.

Basically, any place outside of the main two or three little districts where people go and you will find all manner of workaday options.

I talked to a woman there who survived the siege. She says if you look about and can see any green in the distance then you could conceivably have been in the sight of a sniper. As you walk around Sarajevo you'll realize there are very few such places.

Posted by
254 posts

I highly recommend Dveri. It’s a small restaurant with a nice ambiance and fabulous food. The Muckalica is an amazing dish.