Please sign in to post.

Parma

We are in bologna for a week and thinking of taking the train to Parma. However, we’re not sure if it is worth a day trip. Any suggestions would be welcomed thank you

Posted by
132 posts

Absolutely!! We loved parma. We thought if we went back this was where we might rather stay. We also spent a week based in Bologna and did day trips to Parma/Modena/Ravenna/full day of cheese/wine/balsamic/prosciutto tour in the country. We did a full day walking/art/history/food tour of Parma through Artemilia.it. It was wonderful. We also used them for Modena (1/2 day) and our day trip in the country. Highly recommend them.

Posted by
34 posts

Yes, it is! It's a charming small city. We spent a few days in both Bologna and Parma last October and I think I actually preferred Parma over Bologna. It's more relaxed and it makes for an easy base to visit some of the local parma ham and Parmigiano Reggiano makers. If you have the time and are interested in doing a cooking class, we did a wonderful class with Stefania Bertaccini right in her home: https://stefaniabertaccini.com/. One of the highlights of our trip there! She also does food and wine tours.

Even if you only have a few hours to spare, Parma is a worthwhile day trip. Have fun!

Posted by
47 posts

Thank you so much for your replies. We are definitely going to Parma tomorrow. Just one more question, please. We Would like to take a tour of either the parmigiano or prosciutto factories, but haven’t scheduled a tour because we would need to leave Bologna too early to get to Parma for a morning tour; we’re not that energetic! Lol However, we’ll be in Parma by noon. Do you know if we could possibly schedule a tour while we’re there? Thank you again for your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Posted by
34 posts

Sorry I didn’t see your most recent post, but I hope you had a lovely time! Were you able to do a tour once you got there?

Posted by
47 posts

No unfortunately we were not able to join a tour. However we did enjoy the city and we purchased some amazing parmigiano! Thank you again for all your input.