Please sign in to post.

Midnight in Paris

In the France forum, Pam recommended that I see Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" prior to my trip to the city earlier this month. And was she right!

While the story is a bit fantastical, the panorama of Paris was shown wonderfully in the film and got me even more excited about the trip. I hadn't been to Paris for more than just a 26 hour trip (went to the French Open in 2014) since 2002 and I was eager to return. The filming was great and I recommend it.

Posted by
3961 posts

Brilliant movie. One of Woody Allen's best. Takes you back to Paris in the 1920's. A must see before visiting Paris. We watched it after returning as well. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by
2091 posts

So, Continental, did you get to go to some of the sights shown in "Midnight in Paris"? Pam and I did and it was fun to imagine how the movie was made! And yes, Pam is full of fantastic ideas!

Posted by
1 posts

Had a great dinner @ Polidor restaurant on the Left Bank Latin Quarter near the Sorbonne (where Owen Wilson meets with Hemingway). Recommended (but don’t expect authors).

Posted by
13934 posts

I am SO glad you enjoyed it! Yes, silly story but such fun. I am not at all a Woody Allen or Owen Wilson fan but I do love this movie. Enough so that I got it for Christmas last year so I can see it when it's rotated off Netflix, lol!!

Yes, I dragged Darcy around to various movie sights on our last visit. I will say I DO enjoy Saint-Etienne-du-Mont church - very interesting so I can tell myself I'm going to that area for the church and not just the steps where Owen Wilson sits. I also made her go on a Paris Walks in the area about Ernest Hemingway!

Posted by
1307 posts

I also love that movie even though I'm also not a fan of either Woody Allen or Owen Wilson.
My local public library has it so I can usually get it in a couple of days if I need a Paris fix.
And I also recommend Paris Walks. The Hemingway one is good but so are all the others that I've taken.
I can't have too much of Paris!

Posted by
9420 posts

Midnight in Paris captures Paris and the feel of Paris better than any other movie, for me. Love it.

Posted by
1603 posts

I have watched Midnight in Paris at least 6 times, if not more. I love it! Not only for the Parisian scenes, but I love that it is fantastical and takes you back to the 1920's, and you get to "meet" all the authors and painters. We did visit many of the locations when we were in Paris. Movies don't always have to be realistic to be enjoyable. It's great escapism in a beautiful city!

Posted by
2173 posts

I've watched it several times as well. (and have gone to some of the sites.) I remember reading that the filmmakers purposely shot it in "warm" colors to make Paris even more beautiful.

Posted by
1019 posts

I like that movie also. I was talking about it today at our travel meeting with Jane.

I think I was our HOF hotel in it . It was a fast shot but said our hotel B Montmartre.

I will have to watch again before we go

Posted by
13934 posts

Kim! If you DO see your hotel you'll have to let us know. How cool! Also, make note of where it is in the movie?...I might have to rewatch it soon and see if I can see it.

One real thing the movie did for me was to put some timeline things in context as to who was around at the same time. I'd seen a bit of that before at the Picasso museum. There is a postcard on display that was mailed to perhaps Picasso's son?? Anyway, it was fascinating because it was signed by Monet, Victor Hugo, Renoir, Matisse and several others I don't remember. Funny to imagine all those guys gathered around a table signing the same postcard, lol!

Posted by
232 posts

I cannot stand Woody Allen but at Pam or Darcy’s suggestion watched it and oh! I can’t wait to go!1 166 days to go!

Posted by
362 posts

I too love Midnight in Paris. My two other favorites are French Kiss & Forget Paris, not as much Paris city scenes, but fun to watch for those of us who need a fix!

Posted by
13934 posts

Gretchen...I totally understand. I had to practically be dragged kicking and screaming to watch it the first time I so dislike Woody Allen. I thought OK, I'll give it 10-15 minutes. Well, I was hooked with the opening photography! I'm glad you liked it!

Posted by
3996 posts

I spent quite a bit of time walking along the Seine as Woody Allen portrayed it so glowingly even in terms of a character wanting to commit suicide! I also enjoyed outside book stands as I do in NYC. I walked all over the place admiring the architecture, the gardens (like the one outside of the Rodin Museum) and just drank it all in.

I did like the movie and seeing expat writers of the 1920s come to life at parties and their boudoirs! I also like Woody Allen's films; not a fan of Owen WIlson and it seemed like Woody Allen wanted Wilson to be a younger version of him which didn't work for me....but this isn't a film review! Ha! My favorite of his non-New York movies is Match Point and I recommend it to anyone before a trip to London or who just enjoys a mystery. It's not the typical neurotic Woody Allen movie; there isn't a character like that in the film.

Posted by
4140 posts

It is a favorite of mine , and I am also a fan of Woody Allen's work . For those interested in Paris as a cinematic subject , here are two more fine films - " Paris , Je T'aime " from 2006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_je_t%27aime , and this beautiful classic from 1954 based on a story by Scott Fitzgerald , " The Last Time I Saw Paris " ( have plenty of Kleenex on hand for this ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Time_I_Saw_Paris Read about the Fitzgerald story here -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Revisited , When in Paris you can go to Montparnasse and stick your head into The Dingo Bar at 10 Rue Delambre , where Hemingway , Gertrude Stein and many more used to hang out - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo_Bar

Posted by
89 posts

Totally agree that the movie captures the feel of Paris better than any other I've seen. And it is so funny!

Posted by
6291 posts

Okay, folks, I'm struggling here. I have never seen a Woody Allen movie that I liked. Au contraire. I have never understood what the attraction was. In fact, as I told Kim Saturday, I had promised myself years ago that I'd never have to watch another one. And I don't even know who Owen Wilson is.

But you guys... I know Kim, and respect her opinion; I think Pam is one of the most delightful and interesting people on the Forun, and she's always right. And I've followed some of you other folks for years. So I'm in a real quandary. Maybe, just maybe, I'll break down and watch the movie. But if I don't like it, you guys are in serious trouble.

And don't get me started on Sylvester Stallone. I've managed to make it to this point in my life without ever seeing one of his movies. If you tell me he's in Midnight in Paris, then just forget the whole thing.

:-)

Posted by
13934 posts

Jane, thank you for the sweet words! I know you’ll like this! And no, Stallone is not in it. I’m pretty sure I’ve never been able to sit thru a whole Woody Allen film in my life.

I’ll also tell you you’ll watch it twice just so you can pick up the side remarks and ID characters you missed!

You’ll do better if you don’t know who Owen Wilson is before you watch!!

Posted by
1019 posts

Jane - I will try to remember to bring the dvd movie to our meeting in December.

Posted by
5697 posts

Haven't seen the movie -- but I can enthusiastically recommend dinner at Polidor.

Posted by
1743 posts

Not the first time I've mentioned this here, but if you want to see a movie that will truly whet your appetite for Paris, I wholeheartedly recommend Paris, je t'aime.

Here's the Wikipedia description:

Paris, je t'aime is a 2006 anthology film starring an ensemble cast of
actors of various nationalities. The two-hour film consists of
eighteen short films set in different arrondissements. The 22
directors include Gurinder Chadha, Sylvain Chomet, Joel and Ethan
Coen, Gérard Depardieu, Wes Craven, Alfonso Cuarón, Nobuhiro Suwa,
Alexander Payne, Tom Tykwer, Walter Salles, Yolande Moreau, and Gus
Van Sant.

Not every one of the 18 short films that make up this movie is brilliant. You will certainly have your favorites, and some will leave you scratching your head. But many are delightful, and you will get an enjoyable glimpse at the City of Lights.

Posted by
6291 posts

Kim, thank you. We still have your "Black Book" DVD; I'll bring it back next month. Lane, our local library has "Paris, je t'aime," and I plan to check it out later this winter.

Thanks to all for your encouragement. I'm not promising anything, though.

Posted by
2602 posts

Midnight in Paris is a favorite--I recognized each of the characters immediately (loved Adrien Brody as Dali) and kept waiting to see who would turn up next.

Posted by
3996 posts

And don't get me started on Sylvester Stallone. I've managed to make
it to this point in my life without ever seeing one of his movies. If
you tell me he's in Midnight in Paris, then just forget the whole
thing.

Jane, the likelihood that Stallone would be in a Woody Allen flick matches the likelihood of Woody Allen in a cameo role in a Rambo flick. :-)