Please sign in to post.

Happy 515th Birthday to John Calvin, theologian and lawyer

John Calvin was born in Picardy on 10 July 1509 -- his dad was a bureaucrat in the Church and expected all his sons who made it past childhood to become priests (broadly understood) and John was sent off for a religious education. But as times changed, his dad thought there was more money to be made as a lawyer and John shifted to law school.

He developed the combined qualities of a theologian and a lawyer (insert your own joke here) and spent most of his adult life sermonizing [yelling] about how sinful everyone he didn't like was being, and organizing those complaints into a theology that became the guidebook for several Protestant denominations.

Most people think of Geneva as the Calvinist HQ, but he actually spent a lot of time holed up in Strasbourg because it was a 'free city' in the Holy Roman Empire and various authorities couldn't put their hands on him there no matter how much he annoyed them. (Which was a lot.)

He did become an authority himself in Geneva and used his power to weaponize the civil and church institutions there to punish his critics. Since many Protestant denominations sent their adherents to North America there is no shortage of apologists for Calvin in our churches here in the USA, for example:

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/whitewashed-heroes

Still, even the relatively bland articles at Biography.com cannot avoid presenting some of his true character:

'While instituting many positive policies, Calvin's government also punished "impiety" and dissent against his particularly spare vision of Christianity with execution. In the first five years of his rule in Geneva, 58 people were executed and 76 exiled for their religious beliefs. Calvin allowed no art other than music, and even that could not involve instruments.'

One of his more infamous acts of chastisement involved a Spanish character now known as Michael Servetus. Instead of leaving it to Catholic authorities to decide how to punish Servetus, Calvin jumped the gun and had him burnt at the stake in 1553. His colleagues requested that he just have Servetus beheaded -- show some mercy, dude! -- but that wasn't enough for J.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Servetus

You may have heard of the acronym TULIP , even if only as part of a few jokes, but that describes Calvinism in five easy pieces. There is yet another apologia that explains the five leaves here:
https://reformedjournal.com/the-problem-with-tulip-or-more-than-tulips-in-this-field/

Calvin was buried, after his death in 1564, in an unmarked grave in Geneva - they say it was to keep him from being venerated as a saint. It makes me think of Rick Steves' line in his program on Spain about Franco's mausoleum -- some go to pay their respects and others to make sure he's still buried.

Star Trek fans should note that Calvin was called the Picard because that was his birthplace; Calvin and Hobbes fans should note that their creator went to Kenyon College and studied poli sci there before becoming a cartoonist.

Relevance for travel: Geneva, Strasbourg, Christendom, the Protestant rebellion, Puritanism. Recommended reading: all the links above.

Posted by
4546 posts

What a informative post! I'm impressed that you knew about TULIP. I never knew he was opposed to musical instruments-my Presbyterian Church pays(a lot) to members of the symphony to play at our Christmas program every year.

Posted by
548 posts

Tip of the cap, avirosemail, a stimulating start to my day. I do think of Geneva and Calvin and the sort of stern, no nonsense and frills religion when I think of Switzerland. In contrast with Italy and Spain that seems more emotive and operatic, with miracles and shrines and open armed Madonnas. All part of the human experience of travel I’d say.

Posted by
2699 posts

I know it's a bad idea to try to project the viewpoints and standards of our day back on to earlier eras, but the more I read about the conflict between Servetus and Calvin the less it looks like a disagreement over Scripture that turns fatal and the more it looks like a complicated long-distance relationship between men who had to keep their connection under-the-table, so-to-speak.

Both of them were violating the official metaphysical rulebook of their day with their beliefs in quirky versions of sacred history and the nature of xtian divinity, so presenting this as Calvin-the-leader being harsh toward Servetus-the-heretic is doing a lot of spin.

Calvin groused and boasted both in writing and out loud long before Servetus showed up in Geneva that if he ever got his 'druthers he would have Servetus killed. And it remains a puzzle to historians of all (or none) denominations why Servetus ever went through Geneva on his way to a safe country like Spain or Italy. He could easily have avoided an in-person confrontation but instead he showed up at Calvin's door and their relationship went from bad to worse, with Calvin calling the authorities and pressing charges.

You don't have to be J. Edgar Hoover to figure out the mystery of why Calvin felt a breakup was not enough to settle their fight.