Please sign in to post.

Happy 225th Birthday to Balzac

May 20th is the birthday of the author who's been called "the Shakespeare of the novel": Honoré de Balzac, born in Tours, France (1799).

He studied law at his father's insistence, but he preferred to write or pursue a variety of get-rich-quick schemes. He was a printer's nightmare: he would continue to change and expand his novels, even after they had been typeset, so they would have to be redone at great expense to the author. He was deeply in debt much of the time, and wrote for 14 to 16 hours a day to keep ahead of his creditors. He often wore a white dressing gown, and downed cup after cup of strong, black coffee. In one three-year period, he produced more than 20 works.

The product of all that work was a vast series—more than 90 novels and novellas—that he called La Comédie Humaine. He considered himself "the secretary of French society," and was so thorough that Oscar Wilde once said, "The 19th century, as we know it, is largely an invention of Balzac."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoré_de_Balzac

Posted by
4254 posts

My house is less than a 10 minute drive from the Hamlet of Balzac; official population is listed as 1, but the traffic flow in the region is immense with the largest single level mall in Alberta located across the highway, and Amazon and Walmart both having distribution centres within sight.

Out of curiosity I checked and the Hamlet is named after Honore de Balzac who was a favoured author of the head of the CP Rail of the time who established a station there in 1910 and named the town.

Posted by
2539 posts

Wow, Allan -- I think you win non sequitur of the day! Puts me to shame.