Please sign in to post.

2021 Oscar-nominated film about Bosnia

I just ran across the film Quo Vadis, Aida? tonight while doing some research for (hopefully) a trip to Bosnia in the fall. As noted in the title of the thread, it was nominated for an Oscar this year for best international feature film.

The film tells the story of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, in which Bosnian Serbs murdered over 8,000 Bosnian Muslim (Bosniak) men and boys; the events unfold around the central character, a Bosniak translator for the Dutch UN peacekeepers who desperately tries to save her husband and young adult sons. It's a powerful film that dramatizes many events included in the excellent BBC documentary Srebrenica: A Cry from the Grave (on the RS Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia recommended movies/books list).

I will add a recommendation for the book War Hospital: A True Story of Surgery and Survival; it recounts the 3-year blockade/siege of Srebrenica by Bosnian Serbs from the perspective of the beleaguered physicians and medical staff of the town's makeshift hospital.

Srebrenica is definitely on my Bosnia itinerary.

Posted by
109 posts

Thank you for the recommendation- it looks like a very powerful film.
It is important to understand these terrible moments in history so that we can be respectful and informed visitors.
I hope you have a good trip- Bosnia looks like a beautiful country.