Please sign in to post.
Posted by
1556 posts

Definitely a great place to visit. Lots of interesting monasteries set in canyon setting through out the country. Visa was available at the border and was v cheap ($8 if I remember correctly). This may have changed.

Try and take the "wings of Tatev" tramway though this will require an overnight somewhere. We based ourselves in Goris when visiting this area. Have fun.
http://asbarez.com/86923/the-wings-of-tatev-armenia-launches-worlds-longest-areal-tramway/

Posted by
175 posts

@peter johnson, not sure what is exaggerated. I've been to Armenia multiple times and plan to visit again next summer. The people are extremely friendly, the country is beautiful and the food and restaurants are just amazing. Make a visit and then talk about it. I've spend over 4 weeks there and wasn't even enough for me...

Posted by
10189 posts

Thanks for this acraven. I’ve been using the search for Armenia and Georgia, as we’re going this fall.

I’m wondering if David bought the Georgia map from another post.
Does js4jw have an Armenian map suggestion?
I’ll probably be sending some pm to others who’ve responded here and been, ie Arnold, js4jw, and chani.

Posted by
15582 posts

I went to Georgia and Armenia 6 years ago on a guided tour. 6 days in Armenia, slept in Yerevan and spent 1 day seeing the city, the rest on day trips. In Georgia, we bounced around for a week, mostly one-nighters. The Caucasus are very scenic. Yerevan and Tbilisi are big cities, very interesting. People smoked everywhere. The food was great, the people very friendly, hardly anyone spoke English. Russian is the second language in both countries. The roads, especially in Georgia, were in pitiful condition. The main highway through the country, used a lot by Iranians driving to Russia, was full of huge potholes. Driving in Georgia is crazy, even on the highways.

Armenia's history is very sad, yet very rich. Both countries are among the earliest Christian communities, and there are beautiful, well-preserved churches well over a 1000 years old.

Posted by
175 posts

Bets, if you are looking for a detail map of Armenia, I don't have it, but I believe once you get to the airport you can get one. Are you planing to drive there a rental car or are you hiring a tour guide/private driver. You can do Armenia and Georgia if you have enough time. You can stay in Armenia for a month and not have enough time to see everything. I'm surprised someone said people don't speak English there, I had no problem with that. I would skip Georgia and spend your time in Armenia visiting the beautiful cities outside of Yerevan. Armenia is beautiful and the people are extremely kind and welcoming. You can buy guide books and they will have addresses of the sites you want to see.

Posted by
10189 posts

Thanks. The Georgia-Armenia map from International Travel Maps in B.C. Canada arrived today. Wonderful map and I recommend the company.

We’re a group of family and life-long friends from France. A Yerevan-based agency that has worked with the group several times put it together. Since my husband and I live in the States, it’s our first trip, though the others who are based in France have been several times. We’ll go to Georgia and Armenia with French-speaking guides.

For the time-being, I’m delving into all the on-line offerings attached to the wonderful Armenian objects special exhibit at the Metropolitan in New York. It’s an amazing exhibit.

Posted by
175 posts

Have a good time Bets... I love Armenia and we are from the states too... I'm hopping to go back there this coming summer. The food is one of a kind in taste, the restaurants are just amazing. The people in the villages are extremely welcoming, even to strangers. Yerevan has changed through the years, it's ancient and modern, all in one, the pink stones the building are made of it's just so different. You are truly going to love Armenia. Georgia is different, the people weren't as friendly or welcoming, but it's worth to visit since you all are flying from the states. Have a great time and let us know how you liked it..