Please sign in to post.

Voltage Converted // Adapter

Hi All,
I've done some research online (eg. which has helped me alot.

Where I still need confirmation is whether, assuming my devices are multi voltage:
Do I still need to bring the AC adapters (the plug part) for my devices or can I save space in my bags and just plug in the USB cables into something like this?

Posted by
20309 posts

Every DC device (PC, phone, camera) I've seen in the last 20 years operates with its own dc converter that accepts 120 to 250 V AC, 50 to 60 HZ. It will say that on the converter. So a plug adapter will do.
If everything you have has a USB charging port, then it looks OK, but I have not got into its specs.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Sam!
So what you're saying is the converter is in the device itself not the Ac adapter? Silly me I thought it was the other way around!

Posted by
20309 posts

It is on the power cord that plugs into the wall. Little black block. It will say right on it.

Posted by
15525 posts

If everything you have to charge is via USB, then that device will be fine. You could also do with just a Multi USB charger.

Posted by
33122 posts

It might work but seems very big and clunky - and very expensive.

It might be difficult to plug into some recessed sockets such as in Switzerland, some Italian and some French outlets.

Once you stick a power block on the end, might it not sometimes fall out of the socket?

I dunno. You can usually get just a simple adapter on this website for something like a dollar. Or get one multi - usb charger and one adapter and off you go......

Posted by
6 posts

Good points Nigel. Can you point me to an example of what you mean as an alternative?

Posted by
8889 posts

dfrancoeur, "So what you're saying is the converter is in the device itself not the Ac adapter?" - you were right the first time. USB is neither 110V nor 240V, it is actually 5V DC. The AC adapter is a voltage converter, converting to 5V DC; the tablet, phone, camera etc. work on that voltage. The question is what can the AC adapter accept as input. As others have said, most will accept 110-240V AC.
It then becomes a physical problem of fitting your plug into the socket. The article you posted ( ) is a slight simplification. It does not mention Swiss and Italian sockets, which are slightly different.

So long as you have a 2-pin adapter which is small enough to fit into recessed sockets, you are OK in all of mainland Europe (UK is different). the big thing you posted ( ) is too big to fit into recessed sockets, and would not work in many places. You need something ending in a small "Europlug" which looks like this:

The one you posted last time ( ) has a Europlug on the white cable. But that is overkill, you just need a plug adapter and you can then use your existing AC adapter.

Posted by
5837 posts

Now that Chris has finally got you pointed in a good direction, be aware that different devices charged using a USB cable may have different power (wattage) requirements.

Typical PC USBs output 2.5 watts (5 VDC @ 500 mA)

Apple devices have different USB Power Block output ratings:

iPhones - 5 watts (Rated 5 VDC @ 100 mA)

iPads - 10 watts (Rated 5.1 VDC @ 2100 mA)

iPad with Retina Display - 12 wats (Rated 5.2 VDC @ 2400 mA)

Posted by
145 posts

Agree with Sam. I purchased a clunker like the one you (OP) linked to, however, I never needed to use it. In Paris, Berlin, Switzerland and Australia, this has been sufficient. Needless to say, because this device is not a voltage transformer, we did verify that anything we plugged into it accepted 220V input.