Please sign in to post.

Vietnam

Hello,
Looking for a tour company for a 7- 10 trip to Vietnam, including an overnight trip to Halong Bay.
Trying to make this affordable. three adults and one 17 year old. Trying for Christmas break this year.
Thank you.

Posted by
11130 posts

Tonkin Travel is a good agency in Vietnam. We used them for part of our trip.

Posted by
1540 posts

Take a look at Gate 1 Travel - I used them for my trip to Thailand, Cambodia, VietNam...
But they do have trips to Just Viet Nam - we stayed at Halong Bay - beautiful place.
Happy Travels

Posted by
2527 posts

Vietnam is on my short list of countries to visit. All friends that have been there offer very positive remarks...this despite the war.

Posted by
32198 posts

North,

Some of these aren't exactly "affordable", but may give you some ideas.....

Be sure to read this also.....

Pay careful attention to the medical requirements and vaccinations. Malaria prophylaxis would be a good idea (don't use Lariam though).

Posted by
122 posts

HI my husband and I both 70+ took a month trip from Saigon to Hanoi on our own using bus/train and an open jar ticket to and from the USA. NO problems. Friendly people and many young workers in hotels and shops showed us much respect based on our ages! Halong bay overnight was great but so was the mountain area north SAPA. Hoi An was charming. We used a mix of airbnb and booking,com for homestays and hotels. Nice 3 * with breakfast was around $40 usa. We ate street food and at budget cafes. Our only woryyh was crossing the street in crazy traffic. Usually I would go at the same time I saw a young family cross. WHEW! once you master this aspect of Vietnam the rest is easy breezey. Would love to return and hang out in small towns.

Posted by
15576 posts

I'm now planning a trip for January that will include Hanoi and Saigon. Do you have a recommendation for a good guide book? I have the DK Vietnam book but it doesn't give as much "useful" info as I'd like . . . the stuff that RS is so good at . . . the details of getting around, getting to/from places, etc. I hope to include an overnight Halong Bay boat trip. (been to Hoi An).

Posted by
2324 posts

to Chiani re: guidebook - I never found a RS style guidebook for Vietnam. Lonely Planet in combination with TripAdvisor forums provided most of the detail for my trip. I highly recommend booking a Hanoi Kids tour guide (free) see here. One of the best things I did there - had just a lovely time visiting with our guide. They have a similar tour outfit in Saigon but they canceled on me so I don't know their quality. If you haven't yet seen the PBS documentary "Vietnam" by Ken Burns you should watch it before you go, it will help you appreciate the country even more (and be sure to go to the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City - eye opening).