Please sign in to post.

Vancouver area in March 2021

Hello!
My daughter and I (both adults) will be traveling to and from Vancouver in the middle of March next year. Hopefully travel will be back to normal. Neither one of us has ever been there and we would love some tips. I've been to Victoria and Seattle, but she hasn't. Would it make sense to go to either that time of year, or just stay in Vancouver?

I booked a hotel in Vancouver for a week, with free changes or cancellation - Pan Pacific. As I find out more about travel in the area, I will most likely cut the days AND I don't know if this is a good choice. It has very good reviews and is reasonable I think - around $210 a night. Less expensive would be fine too and I am also open to AirBNB as I have used it in Europe.

What are the "must-sees" in the area? I don't know anyone who has been there and it's hard to tell just from books where to go.

Thanks so much!

Posted by
7049 posts

My parents had a timeshare there so I've been several times, staying on the Robson Street commercial corridor in a high-rise adjacent to a neighborhood called Yaletown, which has lots of great restaurants and is highly walkable (as is most of Vancouver). When staying on my own (before or afterward), I opted for this hotel because it was nice, basic/ clean, well-located and affordable relative to other options: https://ywcavan.org/hotel

I won't reinvent the wheel about what to do there - the city has an excellent tourism website that covers everything. I used that in combination with some library books to do all my planning. I've been there with both a rental car and without, but have found that everything was accessible using public transport (when without a car). The one site I would mention as a "must see" is the Anthropology Museum on the UBC campus (https://moa.ubc.ca)....of course, Stanley Park is another treasure that can't be missed (there are other wonderful parks in the city as well).

Travel planning links:
https://www.tourismvancouver.com
https://www.hellobc.com

I don't care for a lot of rain on my travels and found the end of May to be a great time to visit.

Posted by
11160 posts

Mid-March will have random unsettled weather. Outdoor activities will be a challenge

Snow is unlikely, but "wintery mix" ( sloppy wet snow- lumpy rain) is not to be ruled out.

If you do not mind rain and/or are planning a mostly indoor type trip you should be OK.

There will be dry days, some even with some blue sky, but unrelenting gray is more the norm.

Not meaning to rain on your parade, but want you to be aware the weather will not be the most inviting at that time of year

There is no meaningful difference in the weather among Seattle, Vancouver BC, and Victoria, so that should not be a factor in your choice(s) of destinations

Posted by
6489 posts

With a week I'd suggest staying in Vancouver most of the time. Plenty to see and do there, though as noted the weather won't be the best. Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, Capilano Canyon. No need for a car, though the anthropology museum at the University of British Columbia, with a great collection of totem poles and other exhibits, is away from the main part of the city. I'm sure there's a way to get there by bus, but a car might be easier for that purpose only. One of our favorite places is the Sun Yat Sen Garden in Chinatown, a short walk from your hotel.

The Pan Pacific is right above the cruise terminal with great views of the harbor. Another hotel with similar views is the Westin Bayshore. The Sylvia Hotel is on English Bay near Stanley Park, older and smaller with a lot of atmosphere.

Seattle is too far away to make much sense for a trip like this, but Victoria might be a fun day or overnight trip if you can spring for seaplane flights on Harbour Air. The flights would be spectacular and, as you know, there are some great sights in Victoria. Otherwise you'd have scenic but lengthy ferry and bus rides. Weather in Victoria might be a little dryer than Vancouver because of the "rain shadow" of the Olympic Mountains, but that wouldn't be a reason to go there.

Posted by
850 posts

March is wet, and cool. Gore-Tex and a good hat are your friend. Locals rarely use an umbrella.

Don't try to get too far outside Vancouver; you won't have time. Do remember it's not tourist season so the prices are usually very good that time of year. And if you're coming from the USA the exchange rate can make it a bargain.

I sent you a PM with more notes.

Posted by
508 posts

I will beg to differ with KGC in Seattle. Plenty of us Vancouverites do indeed use umbrellas and typically have several because we leave them behind at work, on the bus etc. So if you visit, definitely bring one; I always use collapsible ones as the rain can be off and on during the day and they are easier to carry in a carry bag. Of note, we don’t let the rain stop us from outside activities!

Posted by
3100 posts

Hi Janet,
I live here in the Vancouver area, and agree with the comments about weather.
All Vancouverites own, and use, multiple umbrellas!!
You always need a waterproof longer jacket with a hood, and a fleece jacket to line it with.
In March, it can rain....a lot.
It can still be quite cool, often cold.
(We have not yet turned off our heating, and it's June already!)
It is also grey a lot, but when the sun breaks through it 's a beautiful city.
The Pan Pacific is right in the centre of town, and you can get the SkyTrain (an overhead light rail system) from the airport directly to a stop, Waterfront, next door to the hotel, so that's convenient.
$210 a night is cheap by Vancouver hotel standards!
There is a lot to do in Vancouver, so five days will go by very quickly.

Posted by
118 posts

What wonderful information you have all given me! I wish we could go at a different time, but my daughter is a teacher and only has two personal days other than spring break. So we will have to deal with the rain! It seems like the Pan Pacific would be good for travel from the airport too. But we are still open to Airbnb if someone can recommend a place where they’ve actually stayed. It’s always nice to have a kitchen.

Does anyone have any favorite restaurants to share?

Thanks again to all!

Posted by
355 posts

We lived outside of Vancouver years ago, but go back once or twice a year:
Restaurants,
CinCin on Robson (we had a long, lovely lunch), love Blue Water Cafe for seafood - we went for dinner one year and lunch the following year (better for lunch - cheaper and easier to get in), DH loves Joe Fortes (lively bar scene - we usually go early to avoid the noise).
Vancouver is a great city. I would suggest finding an AirBnB, or accommodations with at least a kitchenette. Granville Island would provide you with lots of takeaway.

Posted by
32200 posts

"It seems like the Pan Pacific would be good for travel from the airport too."

I'm sure you'd be very comfortable at the Pan Pacific but you'll need to budget accordingly as it's on the "posh" side.

There are also a number of great hotels within walking distance of the Canada Line Vancouver Centre station from the airport (it's a very easy trip). You could have a look at......

• Rosewood Hotel Georgia
  • Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
  • Sutton Place Hotel
  • Wedgewood Hotel

All of those are also somewhat pricey, but these days that's normal for the Vancouver market.

Once you get further along in your planning, you can work out the transportation details on getting to whichever sights you want to see. There's lots to see in that area! If you have a generous budget, you could perhaps take Harbour Air or the Helijet to Victoria for the day. Who knows, maybe Harbour Air will have their electric airplane operating by that time.