Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance - 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Traveling to Australia next month for a wedding. Worth it to buy trip insurance when it only covers a quarantine situation, not a WHO or CDC issued epidemic? Also, Australia is only worrying about folks with direct access to China in preceding 14 days. Thanks!

Per a trip insurance site - "As of February 3, 2020, both the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization have recognized 2019 Novel Coronavirus as an Epidemic. Many travel protection plans exclude losses caused directly or indirectly by an Epidemic. Please refer to your plan to learn whether this exclusion applies to you. Customers whose plan includes the Epidemic exclusion may still have coverage for a covered loss occurring on or prior to February 3, 2020."

Posted by
2699 posts

Everything I am reading says some variation of this: if you want to be able to cancel because of Coronavirus, either fear of travel or an actual outbreak, you must buy a policy that has a “cancel for any reason” addendum. Otherwise Coronavirus is no longer covered under new standard policies.

Posted by
10120 posts

You have to be I'll when you cancel to be covered by an insurance policy. Canceling because you think it's unwise to go isn't covered. As stated above, the only policy that would reimburse is a cancel-for-any-reason policy

Posted by
211 posts

I will be in Australia in April, if I am allowed to travel out of the US and into Australia. We did buy travel insurance last fall, it is useless because we did not buy the cancel for any reason policy. We planned to go and if we got sick we would be covered for cancellation or interruption. No way I could see this disaster coming. We have now changed a few hotels to 24 hour cancellation instead of 30 day (This will save us $2103). With all the flights (international and australia domestic) and non refundable hotels we will be out $8737 if we can't go. Meaning the governments won't let us in or out. We will be covered if we get sick before the trip or get sick while there. Really frustrating situation for everyone. But it appears the travel insurance company gets to hold all their funds and the airlines and hotels will still be doing great. Just the trip of a lifetime won't get to be taken. And cancel for any reason insurance will go through the roof.