Please sign in to post.

Toronto to 1000 Islands to Niagara Falls and back to Toronto

Hi

We are going to Toronto next week for one week and I would like to plan a trip to 1000 Islands and Niagara Falls back to Toronto. Anyone has done this? is it too far and not doable? or exhausting, we like to see it but do not want to drive all the time.
THank you
Mandana

Posted by
10344 posts

It's farther than it looked on the map I had.
I'd recommend you get driving times from Google Map or Mapquest before deciding.

Posted by
1546 posts

Well my DH grew up on one of those 1000 islands, and I drive regularly on the 401 so I can answer somewhat knowledgably.

If you mean in one day, forget it. And I wouldn't try either trip on Friday. Traffic will astound you on summer Fridays. (2pmish to 7pmish).

1000 islands are about three hours from TO so consider a night there. Niagara is about half the drive so a day trip would be okay.

Posted by
12040 posts

I drive back and forth between the Niagara region and Toronto regularly... knowing how bad traffic can get on the weekends in the summer, I don't think you could fit in much more than Toronto to Niagara and back in a day.

If you decide on the shorter itinerary... leave the city early. I have no idea why, but for some reason by mid-morning, traffic crawls around Burlington and Hamilton. What should be no more than a 90 minute drive can easily extend into three hours.

As you cross the Lewiston-Queenston bridge, look to your left and give me a wave....

Posted by
350 posts

As stated Niagara Falls can be done as a day trip, have done it many times. If you have the time you could do it as an over night trip and see Niagara on the Lake, they have great wineries and nice B and B's. But for sure a possible day trip.
The 1000 Islands can be done as a very long day trip, just check the times the boats go out. But a better overnight.

As said above account for Toronto traffic, it is a nightmare. We have some of the worst traffic in North America. I drive it everyday.

Posted by
1546 posts

I'll just add that the traffic from about Courtice eastwards is horrible on Fridays too, so wouldn't consider that direction. And there's construction most evenings that shut it down to one lane and it starts fairly early.