Please sign in to post.

Tel Aviv to Instanbul 2024

I am thinking of the following cruise for October 2024. I have to book it by Monday to get the 50% off.

Tel-Aviv (Haifa),Israel
Jerusalem (Ashdod),Israel
Port Said,Egypt
Alexandria,Egypt
Heraklion,Crete
Santorini,Greece
Mykonos,Greece
Athens (Piraeus),Greece
Kusadasi,Turkey
Istanbul,Turkey

I have never been to any of these cities and Norwegian is having a 50% off Presidents Day sale

Greece and Turkey are included in R S Europe. Israel and Egypt will be under Beyond Europe. Uncertain where Crete info might be on the R S forum?

I have learned that I will need a visa for Turkey but it is easy to get online.

What about visa's for Israel, Crete, Egypt and Greece? Do I need them? Are they easy to get? Affordable?

I have read from many that they like or love Turkish Air Lines. It is way too early to book air but do others love Turkish Air. I did a mock multi city with American and Delta. I can book through either one.

To be continued

Posted by
11156 posts

Crete has been part of Greece since 1913. You can fly or take ferries to either Heraklion or Chania if you travel independently. It should be in Rick Steves Europe.
Chania, Crete is beautiful!

Posted by
7662 posts

I have been to almost all of the locations that you mentioned as well as having taken several cruises in the MED and Black Sea.

Those are all great ports. Such a cruise is a great way to see the Greek Islands. Although, you need way more time to do Crete, it is such a large island.

We have cruised on NCL in the past and still check it out before booking. Their entertainment is excellent.

Check the ship. The only NCL ship we were not fond of was the Epic, still it was OK.

Also, since your cruise starts in Israel, consider flying in with several days ahead of the cruise to see Israel. Further, add a few days in Istanbul for that city.

Americans don't need a visa for Greece, but you will need one for Egypt. I just came back from Egypt in January for a two week tour, it was wonderful. Got the visa at the airport, took about 20 minutes. You can do the Egyptian visa online prior to arrival, same as Turkey.

Posted by
14995 posts

Is it refundable? Or are you willing to bet on travel over 1.5 years from now?

Crete is a part of Greece.

Posted by
7662 posts

Most mainline cruise companies have a final payment date that requires full payment, you can cancel prior to that without any penalty. To book a cruise, you do have to pay a deposit, but that is refunded if you cancel before final payment date.

After final payment date, there is a penalty that starts at 25% and then 50% and 75%, then full penalty. FPD is usually 90 days prior to the cruise.

Posted by
1923 posts

Hi Frank II

Yes and no to your question.

I have purchased what are called Cruise Next Certificates for a deposit. I paid something like $300 but got $500 for my deposit which is also applied to the total fare. This is not refundable but I have three years to use it and can apply it to any other cruise that I might want to take.

I can cancel the cruise that I booked but still have my $500 in Cruise Next Deposits which I can apply to any other cruise.

My cruise needs to be paid up by June 2024.or Norwegian cancels the cruise. However I do not need to pay anything more, not one cent, until June 2024.

I pay off my cruises as time goes by and I never have much to pay before deadline.

For instance, my cruise that I am taking October 2023 (London to Lisbon) is almost paid up. I owe something like $550 on it.

If something happens like an uprising or earthquake or (God Forbid) another pandemic, Norwegian cancels the cruise and almost immediately refunds all your money. My Cruise Next Certificates would be extended but not refunded.

Norwegian has tried to sail from an Israeli Port in the past but there was an uprising and the cruise was cancelled.

A passenger has a written contract with a cruise line. The passenger should know the rules but some passengers screw up and lose money, sometimes a lot, and they are very unhappy.

I always buy insurance but who knows what they really will cover until you put in a claim. Insurance companies offer you the moon until you have to file a claim.

Posted by
1923 posts

Hi geovagriffith

This cruise that I just booked will be my eight or ninth with Norwegian. I like traveling alone and so I appreciate the studio cabins. I will be sailing on the Getaway for the third time. The Epic was my very first ship and I have not any occasion to sail on it since although I would like to.

Hate to tell you but Norwegian is cutting back on the entertainment. They are charging more but giving less since COVID.

I always fly into my departure port three or four days pre cruise. In this case, I will also be staying three or four days post cruise.

My cruise consultant could have been wrong but he told me that I would not need a visa for Egypt. I am going to be visiting two Egyptian ports while on the cruise. I am not arriving or departing from a port in Egypt but I am going to be taking shore excursions. I have plenty of time to figure it out. However if I do, you told me that it was simple enough to get one just like in Turkey.

UPDATE. I checked Visa Central on the Norwegian site. When it comes to acquiring a visa for Egypt, here is what it says:

Visas obtained by the cruise line: Visas for for Cambodia, Egypt, Oman, Vietnam, and UAE will be obtained upon arrival. If any fees apply, the cruise line will charge your onboard account. Please direct any questions on these visas to the cruise line.

Same with Turkey except that the cruise ends in Istanbul and I plan to spend a few days in Istanbul so I will need to get an e-visa. If I were to take a cruise shuttle to the airport and fly out, I would not need a visa.

Posted by
1923 posts

By the way in case I have not been clear, I did book the cruise. And I bought two Cruise Next Certificates and applied a $500 deposit.

But first I have a cruise booked for October 2023 on the Dawn sailing from London to Lisbon. I still have some planning to do on this one.

Posted by
7662 posts

You may not need a visa for Egypt if you are taking shore excursions from a cruise ship.

If you can find an excursion to Cairo to see the Great Pyramids of Giza, it would be a great one. For Alexandria, I suggest visiting that city, it is very historic.

For Istanbul, consider a hotel near the Hippodrome (the ancient site of chariot races). Don't miss Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, the Great Sisterns, Topkapi Palace, Archaeological Museum, Cholra Church near the ancient north wall of the city (also near there is a rebuilt portion of that wall).

Posted by
1923 posts

good morning geovagriffith

I have been doing a little exploring. Passengers will not be allowed off ship in Said. We stop at port to allow a captain and technical staff on and then sail through the Suez Canal.

I have many hours in Alexandria and I will be able to get a shore excursion to Cairo and the Pyramids of Giza.

Thank you for your tips about Istanbul. I will be doing a lot more posting in 2024.

Of course, who can predict what might happen in October 2024 ......

Posted by
130 posts

That looks like a nice itinerary, but would advise going in a few days before to get a much more thorough visit in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv/Jaffa and other places that may be of particular interest to you. A day in Jerusalem isn't really much, and it isn't as if you get right off the ship into the downtown area, it's a drive---probably an hour, maybe more depending on traffic---but will hit the highlights. Chania, Crete is beautiful and charming and Santorini just takes my breath away. We did a tour of Ephesus from Kusadasi and it was wonderful---don't miss!