Please sign in to post.

tangier

Has anyone used Rick's suggested tour guides in Tangier?

Posted by
330 posts

Hello,
My family went to Marrakesh. We stayed in a lovely Riad and they had tour guides available. They might have some reviews on tripadvisor with the guides that Rick recommends.

Posted by
19 posts

My husband and I used Aziz Begdouri - he's the tour guide Rick explores Tangier with in his show. We booked a tour with him when we stayed at the Maison Blanche, the riad that Aziz and his wife Pilar run there. We were really happy with our tour, Aziz arranged for the ferry tickets, met us at the boat, helped us with a problem with immigration (BTW, make sure the immigration official on the ferry stamps your passport with both stamps, not just the numbered one), gave us time to settle in, and then gave us a great tour. We ended up recommending both the riad and Aziz's tour to a coworker who went in June, and she loved it as well.

I hope this isn't too late, I realize it's months after you've asked this question . . .

Posted by
1 posts

Yes! We used Latif (Tifo) Chebaa (visittangier@gmail.com) and had a wonderful experience! He was responsive, got the ferry tickets for us, was at the ferry to meet us and showed us the parts of the city we wanted to see. We were not interested in lunch; no problem. A lot of reviews have mentioned a lot of pressure to buy things - we told him up front we were less interested in shopping, no problem. We did stop at one cooperative where they were selling things but felt no pressure from Tifo at all. He was very knowledgeable, reliable, accommodating and entertaining - we can recommend him highly!

One note: we were met at the ferry upon our return by another guy - not sure whether this guy is affiliated with any of the guides, but say "no thank you" to him. He "guides" you into the small ferry building, called us when it was time for the ferry (there is an announcement - it's a small place....), guided us onto the boat (there is only one way on), and then when we gave him a 4 Euro tip, demanded 5 Euro from everyone in our party. Left a bad taste in our mouth. Unnecessary - skip that guy!